Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux SteamVR not coming to Unity 5.6?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Cygon4, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Cygon4

Cygon4

Hi!

I was planning to include VR support in my current game, but with Unity 5 entering maintenance mode, no Vulkan support in the editor and no support for SteamVR development (even through standalone builds), am I right in assuming that Unity 5 will not be seeing SteamVR support on Linux at all?

There is conflicting information out there.

For example, Valve's SteamVR docs state that Unity is currently unsupported:

valve-steamvr-docs.png

On the other hand, VRonLinux says that it is supported:

vronlinux-unity-steamvr.png
    Due to the cessation of perpetual licenses I'm not upgrading past Unity 5, but I was hoping to get some more mileage out of my current license :)

I guess Vulkan/SteamVR support is not coming to Unity 5 anymore?

2. Tak

Tak

Vulkan support is in Unity 5.6+.
    SteamVR support for Linux was enabled in an experimental capacity in one of the 5.6 betas, then disabled in an early 5.6 patch release, until our VR folks could allocate the time to maintain it properly. To the best of my knowledge, it will be enabled again for 2017.1.

3. Cygon4

Cygon4

Thanks.

I feared that it might be like that. So I can't do VR games with my perpetual license unless I run Windows.

Will have to do some thinking on where I go from here. The subscription license costs more, offers less and I'm not liking what the money is used for (IAP, ads, telemetry, cloud services).

4. Kaare

Kaare

Hi (Tak)

There are rumors that SteamVR support for Linux is included with v2017.3 (You yourself mentioned 2017.1 back in June) - but I can't get it to work.

Is it in there? I can't find anything about it in the notes.

If not - do we know when it will be added back?

5. paultrott

paultrott

Are people seriously doing VR projects in linux?
    I love linux, but I love VR more. I boot into windows and do my dev work there. The OS hardly matters when I'm busy.

6. Kaare

Kaare

Tak - Do you have any information on this, or is there somewhere else I should rather ask about Linux SteamVR support?