Search Unity

Third Party Linux Server with Mirror saying that my TextMeshPro shaders are unsupported

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by apventures, Oct 6, 2022.

1. apventures

apventures

I'm making a meetingroom application where users can write notes to each other on a Canvas. This uses TextMeshProUGUI for handling strings. And I use Mirror API for passing the message strings from client -> server -> client. This feature works fine when I run the apps on Localhost.

But when I host the server on a dedicated linux aws server by following this tutorial, I notice the following Shader errors (see attached):

ERROR: Shader TextMeshPro/Mobile/Bitmap shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable)

ERROR: Shader TextMeshPro/Sprite shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable).

ERROR: Shader UI/Default shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable).

When I try using the server, the TextMeshPro text objects for those notes/messages on the Canvas appear on the first client, but the second client can't see them. If the second client writes on the Canvas, then the first client can see the second client's message. But the second client still can't see the first client's message. I'm at a loss for what's going on. I'm also using "Headless Builder" to optimize the build.

Attached Files:

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

Mirror doesn't require TextMeshPro.
    And technically a server build shouldn't even need any shaders.
    Maybe try reporting the bug to unity :)

3. apventures

apventures

I was actually able to fix my issue. It turns out that my problem was that I was stupidly trying to connect my clients that were running in the Unity Editor. Once I built my clients, hardcoded in the server's IP and ran the builds, I was able to see the TMP strings appear from each client. The only issue now is that if a client joins later, then they can't see the TMP strings that were submitted prior to them joining. But I think I can fix that and it's something to do with the type of network call being used.

mischa2k likes this.