Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.

Resolved Linux login issues.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Su-Ryusei, Oct 23, 2021.

1. Su-Ryusei

Su-Ryusei

Hello. I've downloaded the Unity Hub beta appimage in Pop!_OS 21.04 (Ubuntu based) due to the flatpak version not recognizing my visual studio code install.

Now that I load the appimage version of the Hub, it prompts me to a sign up screen as following: upload_2021-10-23_16-44-1.png

The browser I'm using is Firefox and my Unity account is already logged in. I'm using the default user agent as well so there's no conflicts, but upon clicking the Sign in button, I'm redirected to a blank page.
    I've also tried it by using a profile with no add-ons and ran into the same problems.

Is this any known issue? Where should I report?

gebbione and Igggr like this.
  2. gebbione

gebbione

I have the same issue in ubuntu, still running on 18.04 but the result is the same. This is my first attempt to install Unity so not off to a great start.

I get a page for authentication that requests to open an app on the OS as shown in the screenshot. Even if i click the open button nothing happens. Not sure why the authentication needs to happen in an external system like a browser. It would be so much more convenient to just sign people in in the so called Hub.

Either way I hope someone can suggest what to do. I will look into other game development platforms in the meantime but it would be nice to try unity.

UnityHub_notGoingForwardUnuntu_2021-10-24 17-25-02.png UnityHub_notGoingForwardUnuntu_2021-10-24 17-25-02.png

3. AwptiK

AwptiK

Did you manage to get it working? I have the same issues here.

4. Su-Ryusei

Su-Ryusei

It works fine as a flatpak installation, but due to the contained nature of flatpaks, it doesn't recognize the VS-Code installation unless it's flatpak as well. And for a production app, using flatpaks is bound to have issues. I'll be filling a bug report directly.

5. AwptiK

AwptiK

What is the difference between flatpak hub and appimage hub anyways? they are the same software, both sandboxed. I tried two different browser (firefox and brave) and same result, so it is not the browser, nor is it the software (as you said the flatpak version works well). What could it be?

6. Su-Ryusei

Su-Ryusei

Flatpaks work on it's own separate way, almost as if it was being emulated into your machine, so to speak. The reason I avoided using the Flatpak version is due to it not recognizing the VSCode .deb install that I have. while the flatpak version of the same program has some issues on my end.

7. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

A new beta just went out yesterday! Could you please update your Hub V3 to beta 6 and check if this issue is still happening?
    You can check the release notes here!

Su-Ryusei likes this.
  8. Su-Ryusei

Su-Ryusei

It is now working! Thanks for the clarification.

9. vitectron

vitectron

I had the same problem with firefox, but it workes with chrome. I'm using Debian with KDE and just switched my default browser from firefox to chrome. You can find Settings for it in: Systemsettings --> Applications -> Standard-Applications

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  10. denis-andreevich

denis-andreevich

Hi. I have a problem with the updated version of the hub.
    OpenSuSe 15.3.
    In the upcoming version of the hub there was no such problem.
    upload_2021-11-6_13-3-18.png

11. jayforshort

jayforshort

Exact same problem as Su-Ryusei showed...this is tedious.

Okay, so I seem to be finally downloading a version of Unity into Hub 3.0.0-beta.7.

/*rant
    Gonna be completely honest, I've had SO MANY issues like this between Unity, VS Code, and Linux that I became a React Developer instead. Honestly, I set aside all of my Game Dev classes and totally changed career tracks because of stuff like this that kept happening. That thing with "VS Code Community" or whatever that thing was, it was an absolute abomination that totally tanked my experience earlier this year and it literally took me months to solve.
    endRant*/

That said...I wanted to come back and work on my GameDev classes as a hobby now. I FINALLY got this stupid thing to work again, but not without wasting an hour of my time, which is actually pretty quick these days. I'm not totally miffed, but I am really bugged.

Okay...what I did...

I had already run through the commands in this list once before and everything continued to fail.

So I began a new attempt by running the UNINSTALL command, which didn't really do anything because there was nothing installed. That said, I wanted to 'make sure' and I got my peace of mind.

Then I ran through the commands in this list. NOTE: The thing I did differently this time - I ran these two commands (update and install) separately.

I've run multiple lines in terminal in the past with little difficulty, but that did not seem to work here. My prompt already had the $, so I removed those after I copy/pasted the code. I think this caused part of my problem.

In fact, I wonder if running update and install at the same time might have glitched something. Whatever.

Attempting to run them again seemed to result in more failures until I 1) ran the uninstall command (which may not have actually done anything) 2) I ran update first, and then 3) I ran install.

THEN I was able to sign in and download an editor. I hope this helps someone.

Attached Files:

12. jayforshort

jayforshort

Insiders...it was called VS Code Insiders and it was a NIGHTMARE!

Last Spring my OS crashed and I lost everything.

When I went to load Unity again after re-installing my OS, there was this box that I didn't notice...it had not been there before...and it was marked something like VS Code Insiders. I breezed through the installation without noticing it because I had done the process several times before, so I didn't un-check that box...it was never there before.

Because of that, I couldn't open my scripts in VS Code from Unity. The link was totally broken between Unity and VS Code, and scripts would only open in a text editor. It was a nightmare and I gave up after two weeks of trying.

That's when started taking Web Dev classes and I became a React developer. Yes, I seriously and completely changed career paths because of this. <--For whatever that's worth.

Months later, after another OS reload or two, I tried starting Unity again and somehow got things to work. I still have no idea what it was about VS Code Insiders. I didn't do much with Unity at the time because I was working on web stuff, but at least it was working again.

About a week ago, I updated to Pop!OS 21.10 without thinking much of it. That's when I got the problem that led me to this page.

I DID have that VS Code Insiders problem again tonight after my post above...but I was able to get it sorted in the External Tools menu this time and things seem to be working again.

I really do love what Unity is capable of, and most of the time I really do find myself enjoying the engine, but man, when the stuff really hits the fan, it hits really hard.

I dunno...maybe I'm just an idiot. Whatever, it's working again.

I was hoping to start working on a new game tonight, but two hours later, it's time for bed. Maybe tomorrow.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2021