Search Unity

Linux IDE going forward?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by qrikko, Dec 6, 2018.

1. qrikko

qrikko

Hi,

It's been a while since 2018.1 release where the bundled Monodevelop were removed from the releases. This was a pain to Linux users but I believe Unity has made it pretty clear that it weren't an option to keep it.

However there isn't really any alternative for Linux users, today I use Sublime for script editing but that is hardly a substitute for Monodevelop.

So the question is what the plan is going forward? Is there a plan to have an IDE (like monodevelop) for the Linux editor, can I find it on any road map in that case? And lastly is there any options today for Unity's Linux users to edit and debug code?

Thankful for help clearing out these questions!

2. orb

orb

Visual Studio Code.

3. qrikko

qrikko

Thank you, I will give that a try. I didn't know about it, I am not much of a Windows user and have searched for an answer to this question on google for a good while! So I guess I am not much of a Google user either -_-

But thanks, hopefully this will satisfy my needs!

4. qrikko

qrikko

This solution works very well for me I am happy to say! Again thanks to @orb I wanted to (just for completion) put down in steps what I needed to do to get up and running with VS Code, with code completion, debugging and pretty much all I need.

1. Install:
    https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/setup/linux

2. change:
    Unity->preferences->External tools: /usr/bin/code

3. Follow the installation part (corresponding to your distribution):
    https://dotnet.microsoft.com/learn/dotnet/hello-world-tutorial

4. In unity (do it this way so you are sure the .sln is generated if it werent):
    Assets -> Open C# Project

---- In Visual Studio Code
    For me I got a popup saying: The 'C#' extension is recommended for this file type. Install that or find it under Extensions (Ctrl+Shift+X) and install it.

Search for Unity in Extensions (Ctrl+Shift+X) and install Debugger for Unity, go to the debug button (left side) and make sure the Debug target is set to "Unity Editor".

That's all there was to it.

5. orb

orb

Glad you got it working. Note that it probably wants to download some tools, so watch its console output if it downloads all of that stuff. I think you can expect that to happen every time the extension for C# updates.

6. senkal_

senkal_

I know it is not a free tool but I use JetBrains Rider. I use few editors from JetBrains so it is really beneficial that there is c#/Unity IDE I can use from JB.
    I mostly like all inspections available and refactor tools in Rider.
    Configuration is basically almost automatic, no need to manually change any preferences in Unity.

7. 00jknight

00jknight

VS Code works very well for me on ubuntu. I used to prefer sublime, but the omnisharp (C# autocomplete) integration is poor.

I have found VSCode's omnisharp integration to be very very good on Linux.

8. petitpixel

petitpixel

For Arch users, we have to install:

extra/mono
    community/dotnet-sdk.

and of course: code , and from inside code, the debug support for Unity.

9. hunabku94

hunabku94

Visual Studio Code Extension to install for Unity C# is unity3d-pack

10. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

Consulo is a free alternative to Rider and was my choice until I decided to start paying for Rider. It's also based on intelliJ and available on Linux:

https://github.com/consulo/consulo/wiki/Downloads

It's a fully-featured IDE..so you get all the bells and whistles... foot rub every 15 minutes...shoulder massage on Wednesdays...highly recommend!

qrikko likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

You can use rider nightly builds for free.

PixelJ likes this.
  12. qrikko

qrikko

This is a really good alternative, light-weight, worked well out of the box without any funny business, and god does my feet feel great, looking forward to Wednesday now!

sfjohansson and Deozaan like this.
  13. Nwy140

Nwy140

Maybe Script Inspector from the asset store might be another great alternative ide