Search Unity

Linux IDE build times

Discussion in 'Linux' started by catfink, Aug 27, 2020.

1. catfink

catfink

Is there any understanding of why building in the Linux IDE takes so long compared to other platforms?

On windows my project builds in just over an hour. On an older and slower iMac building the mac version it builds in about 5 hours. On the same machine I use to build the windows version the Linux IDE takes beyond 48 hours to build the same project. So same hardware, same project and just a different IDE and it takes more than 48 times longer?

What is going on for the build times to be so ridiculous?

2. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@catfink, can you report a bug using "Help > Report a Bug"? If the performance is that poor, we want to have a look.

3. bricefr

bricefr

Strange because it's literally the opposite here regarding build times: Linux is faster by a long run over macOS, then Windows.

4. catfink

catfink

I've switched to building linux using windows as Burst 1.3.0 now supports cross platform build. As such from my perspective the issue is no longer one causing us pain as I don't have to use Linux anymore. My Project is over 50GB in size so I could never submit it as a test case for you to look into.

5. catfink

catfink

I can tell you that all the time spent taking forever to run was shader compilation. Hour after hour of shader compilation.