Search Unity

Linux export Android project

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Simon-Larsen, Jul 16, 2019.

1. Simon-Larsen

Simon-Larsen

I am using Deepin which is based on debian. I am able to run Unity and also able to build Android APK files succesfully. Mostly everything seems functional. One major problem I have run into though... I cannot export an Android project from Unity.

As I click the "Export" button from the "Build settings" window I am presented with my file manager where I must select the folder in which to export the Android project to. However, I am unable to select any folder hence I am unable to export the Android project.

I've attached a .gif of me trying to export the Android project.

I have a feeling the export is going to work fine (because I am able to build an .apk file) if only I was able to select a folder to export to.

What I tried to do: Install Nautilus as my default file manager (thought another file manager might be able to select a folder). However, for some reason Unity will not open Nautilus even when it is set as my default file manager in ~/.config/mimeapps.list

Edit:
    Unity version: 2019.2.0b7
    JDK: OpenJDK 1.8.0_152 (installed with Unity)
    Android SDK (installed with Unity)
    Android NDK (installed with Unity)
    Gradle (installed with Unity)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  2. nathanhawthorne12

nathanhawthorne12

What version of Unity are you using?
    Did you install it from UnityHub?
    Are you using the default JAVA, NDK, SDK or have you specified your own?
    Can you try exporting to another folder that is NOT Desktop, i.e. Documents

3. Simon-Larsen

Simon-Larsen

Edited the question with more details. I installed Unity the UnityHub AppImage. Not entirely sure how I determine the versions on Android NDK and SDK. They were installed with Unity though. I attempted to export to other folders as well, no dice.

4. nathanhawthorne12

nathanhawthorne12

Ok i see your updates

Are you using Gnome, KDE, Cin etc( I see you tried to install Naut, which I think is default for Gnome, so assuming your NOT using Gnome)

Can you change back to default file manager for the relevant DE?

I USUALLY have problems with Unitys defaults of SDK, NDK & JDK (various build errors, Keystore issues), so I end up installing the same versions but directly to the system. I am using Slackware and Building & exporting work just fine but again I am using the correct versions of the above but installed directly to the system.

Things I'd try
    As root create a folder within /home/user/blah, give rwx to all users and try again
    run Unity without the Hub and try exporting and via command line, see if there are any errors
    Change back to normal File Manager

5. Simon-Larsen

Simon-Larsen

Thanks for all the good tips. I had no idea Android project export could be done using the command line. Any pointers towards how to accomplish that?

About the file managers. I am using Deepin as my DE. The file manager, seen in the gif, is the file manager that ships with Deepin. I attempted to install Nautilus as a "last resort" to select a folder to export to. I did so based on the theory that it is the Deepin file manager that is bugged somehow. I am unable to get Unity to use the Nautilus file manager to select a folder though :/

6. nathanhawthorne12

nathanhawthorne12

7. Simon-Larsen

Simon-Larsen

Again thanks for the help. I will look further into the command line approach in the coming days and report back. If that doesn't pan out, then I think I'll switch to one of the distros announced as officially supported (Ubuntu or CentOS).