Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux Editor support?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by abeisgreat, Dec 6, 2018.

1. abeisgreat

abeisgreat

Hey folks,

I'm super excited to see progress on Tiny and I'd love to see the editor add linux support.

Without any context or knowledge of the problem, looking at the Tiny package, it seems like there's a few native binaries which are what's keeping this from working in the linux editor. In "/Tiny/Tools" it looks like there's a handful of off-the-shell libraries, which would be easy to get linux ports of then the TinyToolsManager, which I'm guessing is some custom bridge between the editor and the browser.

I'm sure this is low priority, but I'm curious if much thought has been given to this and if it's something I should intend to work around!

Thanks!
    abe

2. abeisgreat

abeisgreat

Quick update, taking a closer look, it's clear that TinyToolsManager is a wrapped NodeJS application bundled with the tool pkg which means a large amount, if not all, the JavaScript is actually visible if you just `cat` the exe.

Regardless, I'm not interested in attempting to manually extract that source. However, the good news is that since it's all NodeJS it should be pretty easy to repackage for linux.

Other than that, things seem to be spinning up and working with minor changes to the Tiny package (lots of #if's need tweaking).

However, I'm optimistic that if this gets open-sourced it would be reasonably easy to add Linux support if the core team is too busy.

3. robertg_unity

robertg_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @abeisgreat

We will add Linux support at some point, definitively before the final release. Sorry that it couldn't make it for the preview. Indeed these tools are just simple NodeJS applications, so nothing to hide there. We felt it was a better experience to not have users rely on npm/node installs for Tiny to run, hence why we packaged them into native executables.

4. abeisgreat

abeisgreat

Hey @robertg_unity, I absolutely agree, it's a better experience!

As someone who also works on developer tools (I work on Firebase) I know exactly how big of pain distributing node tools to non-node devs can be.

Anywho, thanks for the quick response, I'll stop poking around for now because I'm sure things will change significantly between now and release so any hacks I could potentially do will just be wasted and since a linux version is coming, I'll just wait patiently!

Again, great work - I'm super excited to dive in.