Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official Linux Editor Official Release Update

Discussion in 'Linux' started by Emily_Diehl, Nov 2, 2020.

1. Emily_Diehl

Emily_Diehl

Unity Technologies

Since our 2020.2 beta is now in full swing and we're moving towards the official 2020.2 release, we'd like to share an update with you on the current state of the Linux Editor and our plans for officially bringing it out of preview.

Over the past year, we've made a lot of progress with the Linux Editor. We've been steadily addressing bugs and the Editor's performance and overall stability has been greatly improved. Since our last update, Vulkan support is now stable and HDRP is running nicely as well.

Our original plan was to officially bring the Linux Editor out of beta in 2020, but due to our commitment to focus on releasing production-ready features, workflows, and components, we've decided to target a 2021.2 official release to ensure that the Editor meets this higher quality standard. While we feel that we've made great progress towards ensuring that the Linux Editor is fully production-ready, there are still several areas we'd like to focus on before we officially bring it out of preview.

Our key focus areas for 2021 will be:
    • More thoroughly testing official features and packages on Linux. Unity is a feature-rich product, and having the extra time from now until our 2021 release will allow us to ensure additional stability for Linux users.
    • Resolving bugs and issues reported by both our internal teams and customers. Even though the Linux Editor will still be considered a beta product, we will continue to address issues with the same priority as if it was already officially supported.
    • Conducting user research with developers that are interested in using the Linux Editor in a production environment to gather additional feedback to ensure that the editor will be ready for production use for all of our Linux users.
    We know that many of you have already come to rely on the Linux Editor for your projects and are eagerly awaiting its official release, and we want to assure you that our commitment to supporting and steadily improving the Editor has not changed. If you’re using the Editor today, we encourage you to continue doing so and believe you will continue to see improved quality as we move into 2021.

In the meantime, please keep sharing feedback on the Linux Editor here on our forums, and be sure to submit any bugs you may encounter so we can address them. In case you missed it, you can find additional details on the Linux distros that we support in this forum post.

With your support and the additional time we'll have to focus on polish, we're looking forward to releasing the Linux Editor in a fully supported, production-ready state by the end of 2021.

2. junshwa

junshwa

About Unity of
    Unity 2020.3.16f1 Personal for Linux

There is no beta version notation anywhere.

And

I can't input Japanese with ibus-mozc and ibus-kkc in Unity Editor for Linux.

Please fix the bug that ibus-mozc and ibus-kkc cannot input Japanese in this Unity Editor for Linux.

It seems that the reason why Japanese input with ibus-mozc and ibus-kkc cannot be performed with the Linux version Unity editor is that

libibusplatforminputcontextplugin.so

does not exist in the Linux version Unity editor.

Issue Tracker

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ywhere-in-the-editor-when-using-japanese-mozc

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  3. AlfieBooth

AlfieBooth

So... Is that it? Are we out of PREVIEW now with the 2021.2.0f1 release?

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    NoTuxNoBux and lchaia like this.
  4. IbrahimRashwan

IbrahimRashwan

There a bug with Unity Editor Windows they are hidden (completely transparent) until there's some kind of update to the layout (like a mouse hover) and moving/resizing the window if a pain and every thing is glitchy.

I think it has to do with the compatibility with the OS or more specifically the window manager or display manager

Ubuntu version: 22.04 LTS
    LXQt version: 0.17.0
    Qt version: 5.15.3

but I searched about this and found that similar glitches are happening in Ubuntu Gnome (or Gnome DE in general) & Pantheon DE (Desktop Environment) but it's OK with KDE (Plasma Desktop Environment)

Attached Files:

5. y4my4m

y4my4m

I'm experiencing the same in KDE, doesn't matter if I turn composer on/off, disable nvidia vsync, etc.
    When using the profiler, it shows the Redraw paint function of the editor is lag spiking everytime there's a redraw of any window.
    Please do not give up on Linux Editor, I would really like to develop entirely from my main (linux) environment.

Everything else works great. Kinda silly to kill Linux Editor's performance entirely just because of the GUI repaint bug... Unity staff I beg you! @Emily_Diehl

6. NoTuxNoBux

NoTuxNoBux

If you both happen to be using Wayland on NVIDIA proprietary drivers (or the new open kernel modules), it may well be this issue (which turned out to affect all applications on Wayland, Wayland or XWayland).

7. y4my4m

y4my4m

I'm not on wayland or any variation. Just good old x11.

NoTuxNoBux likes this.