Search Unity

Linux editor level and burst compiler / jobs

Discussion in 'Linux' started by catfink, Feb 7, 2019.

1. catfink

catfink

I have been told that the only way to successfully build a project that uses jobs and the burst compiler is using the native operating system and editor to do so. This appears to be correct as I am unable to build a linux version of my project on windows and have it successfully build the burst compiler.

I release across three platforms from one central project - that project is maintained on windows and right now is unity 2018.3.4. I am able to successfully compile for OSX and Windows but Linux I can't. The reason for that is the Linux editor is constantly tracking behind the other two platforms, we only have 2018.3.0f2 from December on Linux.

This is likely to become an issue for us as I don't want to not have bug fixes for Windows and OSX just because the linux editor is 4 point releases behind (and counting).
    Given jobs, burst compiler, ECS are the strategic direction for Unity - for people like me with a commercial project released across three platforms not being able to run a unified level of editor across all three platforms is a significant issue.
    Is the Linux editor going to get some more focus to keep it up-to-date with the other two desktop editors?

Please don't take this as a complaint, this is a genuine question regarding Unity's commitment to Linux as many of us do run commercial projects across these three platforms - it's just this new requirement regarding having to build on the native platform has created this problem of needing to keep an entire copy of our project (some 60GB or so) at a lower unity release level just so we can build it on linux. This has left us wondering if we actually need to drop linux support now as this is a big overhead.

2. senkal_

senkal_

Do I understand correctly, you are not able to install on Linux anything beyond Unity 2018.3.02f?
    Base on my experience Linux lags sometimes few days after a new release, but it catches up quite quickly.
    It can be sometimes a little annoying but it is mostly no more than few days delay(max around 10 since I use it).
    For example, I can install Unity 2018.3.4f1 no problem on Linux. It is marked as preview since Linux is not officially supported and it's in beta, but it is here.

Or maybe you're indicating that Linux editor lacks in features comparing to other versions?

3. catfink

catfink

I'm looking in the pinned thread in this forum that says it has the latest release in it and the last version is 2018.3.0f2 .... should I now be looking somewhere else, in the beta releases?

4. Advis91

Advis91

catfink and senkal_ like this.