Search Unity

Linux editor and Unity Plus/Pro activation count

Discussion in 'Linux' started by syscrusher, Oct 30, 2019.

1. syscrusher

syscrusher

I've got a Unity Pro subscription and seat through my company. For my normal work I use mostly the Windows editor but sometimes Mac OSX, which eats up both of my allowed activations.

With 20 years of experience as a Linux sysadmin and programmer, I would love to contribute to the testing of the Linux editor for Unity. In fact, I'm planning a "technology refresh" on my primary laptop in 2020Q1, and it would make me very happy if I could boot Linux natively on that and do the majority of my work in my preferred o.s. The last remaining tool in my workflow that isn't supported on Linux is the Unity editor itself. (My other main tools include Blender, Substance Designer, Git, GIMP, and MakeHuman, all of which are natively supported on Linux.)

Right now, if I want to help test and improve Unity Editor on Linux, I have to create a secondary Unity account and run the Personal Edition because of the activation count limit.

I would like to respectfully suggest to the Unity licensing/marketing team that you either allow three activations on the Plus/Pro licenses (perhaps with the stipulation that they have to be on at least 2 different platforms), or that the Linux version be able to activate on an existing Plus/Pro seat but not "count" as an activation as long as it is an unsupported experimental or preview release.

2. sfjohansson

sfjohansson

I agree... this is an annoyance. It would be great if the licence system could handle this situation as I also found it very limiting with trying to use the Linux Editor as the go-to workstation. Allowing an extra activation or make it more based on the hardware rather than the operating system. I'm jumping between Mac/Windows/Linux.

senkal_ and syscrusher like this.
  3. senkal_

senkal_

Yes, I am in the same exact situation.
    I use one license on Mac and, for second, I have to rotate between Linux and Windows(still sometimes usable when there are issues on Linux).

My suggestion would be to not count license activation on Linux since it is in preview.
    It is not officially supported but it counts as one in terms of activation.

syscrusher and sfjohansson like this.