Search Unity

1. We've closed the job boards. If you're looking for work, or looking to hire check out Unity Connect. You can see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2017.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. The Unity Gear Store is here to help you look great at your next meetup, user group or conference. With all new Unity apparel, stickers and more!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're a macOS 10.13 High Sierra user take be sure to read this before updating Unity.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Introducing the Unity Essentials Packs! Find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Unity 2017.3 beta is now available for download.
    Dismiss Notice

Linux Editor 2017.3 beta review

Discussion in 'Linux Editor' started by kjkrum, Nov 22, 2017.

1. kjkrum

kjkrum

I've been playing around with Unity on Windows for a few months. We have a couple licenses at work, and I may start using it professionally when I'm finished with my current project. I decided to check out the 2017.3 beta for Linux because Unity is currently the only reason I ever boot Windows at home.

You're greeted with an annoying bug on the very first screen you see. You can't paste into the password field. This was reported over two years ago. How is this still broken? (I know how: you're using a message board as an issue tracker. That's just... no.)

Overall, the performance seems great. Startup seems much faster than on Windows. (Everything runs better on Linux!) The first thing I did was drop a terrain into the scene, throw a texture on it, and replace the default camera with the first person controller from the standard library. Even this extremely simple scene runs noticeably better on Linux than Windows.

Then I tried to edit the terrain. That's when things went off the rails. I can't even change the terrain size. The length is editable, but the width and height fields reset themselves every time they lose focus. Seriously, what? Also, tabbing through the inspector window is broken. You cannot tab to a field and begin typing. You must click each field to edit it.

I hope the Unity developers aren't basing their resource allocation on the number of developers who use the Linux version, because the Linux version is frankly not usable in its current state. I'm sure there are many developers like myself who would love to use it but can't get past the bugs.

2. Kaare

Kaare

Is anyone from Unity even monitoring this forum anymore? Tak used to comment/answer questions on almost a daily basis, but it looks like her last post is from Oct. 27. Are there anyone else from Unity around?

I've been asking about SteamVR support a couple of times, but my posts have been ignored.

3. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

Hi kjkrum,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into those issues you mention, but please file bugs on issues like this. You can file bugs through the Editor by going to the Help menu > Report a Bug. To be clear, we don't use the forums for tracking issues. You can go here to see what we are tracking, though: https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/. Bugs you report will appear here.

Kaare, you're correct in your observation. Tak recently went on parental leave, and I've been slowly assuming his duties over the last few weeks. I apologize for the slowness, but there's a lot to take on :)

spacepluk and wenderRondonia like this.
  4. kjkrum

kjkrum

Ah. There's an old sticky that says

I figured out how to make changes stick in the inspector: you have to press enter, not tab. I'll write proper bug reports.

5. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

Ohhhh, I missed that. Thanks, I've updated it :)

wenderRondonia likes this.
  6. Odd-Redesign

Odd-Redesign

Just wanted to chime in and add that

does appear for me in 2017.2 but not in 2017.1 and previous versions, so some newer change must have caused this.

The Linux Editor is and always was usable and I finished and released a complete game with it. I always learned to live with the issues as the advantage of working on linux was too high to give it up. But yeah, there are some things that might make your head explode once in a while. They're just so tiny that often you forget to file a bug and I think we can all agree to work on doing that more often.

This subforum always had a good connection to the devs and I think people are used to be able to share a bug here and get a reaction from Tak and possibly a fix in a later version. I wouldn't underestimate that.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  7. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

Don't worry, I'm 100% behind this. Bug reports are critical for us to track and fix issues, but the message boards are best employed for communicating about them.

For exactly this reason, Na'Tosha's sticky post reads:

wenderRondonia and Odd-Redesign like this.
  8. kjkrum

kjkrum

The input issue is a show stopper. You can work around it in the inspector, but other places you can't. I just bought Map Magic, and you cannot edit any of its settings at all. It works fine on Windows.

It's a known issue in 2017.2 or late 2017.1 that was reportedly fixed in 2017.3 beta 10 or thereabouts. I'm actually not experiencing it in 2017.2 on Windows. But the newest 2017.3 beta for Linux is a full ten builds behind Windows and OS X. (If the version numbers correspond.)

9. kjkrum

kjkrum

If not for the input issue, the Linux version would be vastly superior.

Cold start to open project window ready: 13.9s on Linux, 16.9s on Windows.
    Open my simple Map Magic test project: 21s on Linux, 35s on Windows.
    Frame rate running around on a basic terrain: 200-250 FPS on Linux, 40-50 FPS on Windows.

10. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

By "input issue", are you referring to the terrain issue, password entry issue or the tabbing through fields issue?

11. kjkrum

kjkrum

Tabbing through fields, but I don't know if it's a single issue or multiple because it seems to manifest in different ways in different parts of the UI. Inspector fields can be edited by clicking, but fields in the Map Magic UI cannot be edited at all. The tab issue was reportedly fixed in recent Windows and OS X builds, so I'm looking forward to a new Linux build to see if Map Magic works or there's a separate issue.

12. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

Ah OK. This works for me on my current 2017.3 build, so I'd be interested to know if it works for you when the next release goes out (soon).

13. jahendrie

jahendrie

Having input issues myself. When trying to login, the email/password fields would lose focus almost seemingly at random, though I think they keep focus if I move the mouse within the field and leave it there. I was eventually able to log in, at any rate.

Unfortunately, it's still an issue within the editor. Trying to create a new tilemap palette, for instance; I literally just can't edit the name at all. I can highlight the text, but keyboard entry does nothing, and the field seems to lose focus on a whim and other parts of the editor 'activate' as I press keys.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  14. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

The new 2017.3 went out today, but unfortunately I wasn't able to get around to investigating the input issues for that release. In the meantime, I hope at least some of your other issues are addressed in the new version and I'll make sure to look into this soon. Please keep posting your feedback.

15. kjkrum

kjkrum

UnitySetup-2017.3.0f1 tries to download unity-2017.3.0f1-linux.ini from two URLs that are 404 before succeeding with a third URL:

Then it gets a checksum error on the main tarball:

Checksum for downloaded '/tmp/Unity.tar.xz' (d8d4ab28c8dc5133dee1ad7c4618b641) doesn't match expectation (4bed39032da87da524105aef1a03ba54)Finished downloading
    'http://beta.unity3d.com/download/3c89f8d277f5/LinuxEditorInstaller/Unity.tar.xz' to '/tmp/Unity.tar.xz'​

I did this twice and got different incorrect checksums. When I download the file in Chrome, the md5 sum matches the expected value.

16. kjkrum

kjkrum

I manually uncompressed and installed the main tarball. The input issue affecting the inspector is indeed fixed. However, it was apparently masking another issue with inputs in the Map Magic UI. They remain totally uneditable. :(

Does anyone know of other packages that create their own UIs with input fields? If others work, perhaps the problem is with MM and not the Linux editor itself. (Though MM works in Windows.)

17. PJayB

PJayB

Unity Technologies

That's OK, that's normal.

That is very not normal. And I don't believe that code has changed since last release. I'll look out for additional reports of this.

18. kjkrum

kjkrum

I tried again and it installed successfully the third and fourth times.

19. sharamun

sharamun

Greetings Folks,

Today I had the distinct pleasure of a completely uneventful and successful installation of Unity-2017.3.0f1 on Debian Linux 8.9 (Jessie) 64-bit w/Gnome 3.14.1. I am totally impressed that the Unity Installer Assistant worked so flawlessly, tremendous kudos and hats off to the Unity Linux Development Team on a job well done!!!

...only minor thing missing is a unity.desktop icon w/associated launcher script, which I can provide samples for anyone who is interested.

For some background, I've been working on a Unity project w/Linux, Mac and Windows support for about a year, but had to initially settle on using Windows as the development platform because previous versions of the Linux installer failed to handle dependent libraries properly and forced the install target to the /opt partition, which generally did not have enough storage capacity.

As I should now be able to work exclusively on Linux for this project, absolutely thrilled so see such excellent progress, which Unity has consistently delivered for years.

If I encounter any issues porting my project to Unity Linux, will post to this thread if this is the right place.

You guys are the best, keep up the great work!!!

20. mrspeaker

mrspeaker

Yes! I only recently came back to the Linux world - I've been searching around for the last hour trying to figure out how to do this, so I'd certainly be interested!

21. sharamun

sharamun

Greetings mrspeaker:

Great to hear you are making the transition to Linux, a very wise choice, you will not be disappointed! Here are some tips to set up a desktop icon for Unity. I set this up specifically on Debian Linux 8.9 (Jessie), which should work without issue on Debian Linux 9.2.1 (Stretch) and should be supported on most distributions of Linux. Using Debian Linux 10 (Buster) is not currently recommended as it has not been released and is therefore likely to be incomplete, especially for a software product as complex as Unity.

Guidelines for setting up a desktop icon for Unity on Linux:

1. in your $HOME/Desktop directory, create the unity.desktop file with similar contents:

#!/usr/bin/env xdg-open
    [Desktop Entry]
    Version=2017.3.0f1
    Exec=/home/sharamun/Software/Applications/Unity-2017.3.0f1/unity_launcher.sh
    Name=Unity-2017.3.0f1
    GenericName=Unity-2017.3.0f1
    Comment=Launch Unity
    Encoding=UTF-8
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    Categories=Application
    Icon=/home/sharamun/Software/Applications/Unity-2017.3.0f1/Editor/Data/Resources/LargeUnityIcon.png

...as values for Exec and Icon are required to be absolute paths, you will need to change the prefix of "/home/sharamun/Software/Applications" to the prefix where the Unity-2017.3.0f1 directory is located.

2. in the directory where Unity-2017.3.0f1 is located, create the unity_launcher.sh file with similar contents:

#!/bin/bash
    export UNITY_HOME="/home/sharamun/Software/Applications/Unity-2017.3.0f1"
    STARTTIME=`date +%Y%m%d%H%M%S`; ${UNITY_HOME}/Editor/Unity >> ${UNITY_HOME}/unity_${STARTTIME}.log 2>&1

...similarly, you will need to change the prefix of "/home/sharamun/Software/Applications" to the prefix where the Unity-2017.3.0f1 directory is located. Make sure the file is executable by executing "chmod 0755 unity_launcher.sh".

That should do it. Note that the script creates a corresponding .log file for future reference or troubleshooting.

Give this a shot and let me know how it goes or if you need additional assistance.

22. sharamun

sharamun

Found a problem w/Build to Windows x86_64: after deploying the application to Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), attempting to launch reports the following error:

<product-name>_Windows_x86_64.exe - System Error
    The program can't start because UnityPlayer.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

I tried placing a copy of UnityPlayer.dll into the <product-name>_Windows_x86_64_Data/Managed directory, but that did not solve the problem, so maybe I missed a build setting. Please review and advise as soon as you can.

Thanks very much for your consideration and support!

Update: Case 979101 https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?979101_c1gv0qn2flb9rv08 has been opened on this issue Fri 15Dec2017 @14:00 EST

Last edited: Dec 15, 2017 at 7:24 PM