Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

linking unity servers, possible?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by blazespinnaker, Dec 28, 2015.

1. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker

Is there a way I can link my unity servers up with strangers? Have 'portals' people can walk /click through to travel to someone else's server?

What would be cool is if you could queue up a portal so it installs the unity client in the background. So for example, let's say you're in a 2d game you could click on a button which loads up the other game, or if you're in a 3d world there would be shimmering portals that slowly summons into existence.

2. blazespinnaker

blazespinnaker

Anybody? Surely this must be possible.

3. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

4. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Well GraphXCreations is right, uLink supports migrating players from one server to another. you are welcome to use it but we are in maintenance mode and will only produce bug fixes from now on.

On uNet there is no HLAPI support for what you want but in theory you can use NetworkTransport or NetworkServerSimple to connect servers together and send connection info of the client from server1 to server2 alongside all playerData which is needed, Send Server2's info from server1 to client and then client disconnects from server1 and connects to server2 and server2 can map client's data to his/her connection because you send the connection info from server1 to server2.

To make it secure you should generate a random coockie and send it to both server2 and client so they can make sure the other party is legitimate.

5. GraphXCreations

GraphXCreations

Awesome, here is Ashkan from ulink development,
    quick question @Ashkan, since you guys are no longer releasing new updates but bug fixing, I hear uLink is going open source? is that true? if so, how soon will it be out?

6. Ashkan_gc

Ashkan_gc

Hi
    Unfortunately I am not sure of the results of the talks in our board to announce it here. Truth is that we are talking about it and all of our licensees will release the source code. So you can buy a license if you don't have (and u want uLInk's source), If you have it, in 2-3 months you should release the source.

But to open source in a MIT manner , we have talks to go still and customer agreements which prevents us from doing it until some time at least.