Search Unity

★ LINEFY ★ GPU powered drawing: lines ╳ polylines ≋ dots ⠇

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by polyflow3d, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Innovine

Innovine

Ahh, I just discovered it. it is the fadeAlphaDistance default for Lines. Thanks for the super fast response :)

polyflow3d likes this.
  2. Innovine

Innovine

Is there an advantage to packing lots of objects into the arrays, for example, one instance of the Dots class, which holds all the dots in my scene. That is one way to do it, but I could also have a custom component which has one dot in it, and then add this component to many game objects...

3. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Yes, of course. You can manager class that collect necessary data from all game Objects into one Dots instance.

4. Innovine

Innovine

It seems much easier to enable/disable components if they are separate. Is there a performance reason not to have many individual instances?

polyflow3d likes this.
  5. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Each Dots instance needs for one batch. Also keep in mind that Linefy objects are not taken into account in dynamic batching. Thus, the number of Dots instances will add the same number of batches for rendering.

Innovine likes this.
  6. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Sometimes you have to choose between ease of development and performance (when you really need it).

Innovine likes this.
  7. Innovine

Innovine

I have a dot on a game object, I set a position of zero for the dot, and use Draw(transform.localToWorldMatrix) and it is drawn in the world space location of the game object. How do I now draw a label in screenspace, a set number of pixels below the dot?

8. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

use Label.offset property

9. Innovine

Innovine

Is it possible to have Linefy objects drawn last, so they appear on top of world objects, even if they are located behind?

10. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

set zTest = Always

11. Innovine

Innovine

what is the best way to draw lines in the world, but only when facing the camera?

I want to draw a wireframe map of the world, but only show countries which are pointing to the camera. It's easy to determine if points are backfacing.

12. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Sorry i did not catch only show countries which are pointing to the camera

13. Innovine

Innovine

For example, if I wanted to draw something like this: (not my image). I do NOT want to draw the lines on the away side.
    Screenshot 2021-10-01 183010.png

away side is easily defined by the dot product of camera look direction, and point position - sphere center. One solution is to have an object with all the points, and each frame, calculate which are visible and create a new Lines object and provide all the points. Is there a more efficient way?

polyflow3d likes this.
  14. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Cool effect)
    There are two ways - the first is to control the visibility of the lines and dots through a script according to your algorithms.

The second is to tune Fade Alpha so that it passes through the center of the sphere.

15. Innovine

Innovine

I am not sure what you mean by "control the visibility"... that is my question, how do i control the visibility :p

Should I create a new Lines each frame, and fill it with the points I want to draw for that frame?

16. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

You should not create new Lines instance every frame. Linefy is based on retained mode concept.

Therefore, for implement effect above you should create one Lines instance and one Dots on Start (or Awake) then manipulate it appearance by assigning each line/dot width, color, items count, itc in Update (LateUpdate).

Innovine likes this.
  17. Innovine

Innovine

so how do I disable lines. Should I leave points in the array and set the width or opacity to zero?

Last edited: Oct 2, 2021
  18. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

yes.

19. Bivens32

Bivens32

Is there a way to "embed" Linefy into my unity editor tool without sharing Linefy with other people? Just so tired of using Unity's Handles..

20. Innovine

Innovine

When trying to make a PC Build with 2021.2.0b9 I get this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Hidden/Linefy/DotsPixelPerfectBillboard': Output variable dot4vertPP contains a system-interpreted value (SV_RenderTargetArrayIndex) which must be written in every execution path of the shader.  Unconditional initialization may help. at Assets/3pp/Linefy/Resources/Shaders/DotsPixelBillboard/_dotsPixelBillboard.cginc(90) (on d3d11)

21. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Sorry, I have not support a beta releases.

22. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

You have to act according the AS agreement.

23. Bivens32

Bivens32

So... no? Is AS the "Asset Store" agreement? Man I just want to draw some animated dash lines in my tool. Why does it have to be so difficult ha. I wish Unity would unify gizmos, handles, and gl stuff and actually give us some proper options by default. Maybe in 10 years..

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  24. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

What is "my tool"? Internal development or public product? If you try to publish a new product that contains Linefy in the Asset Store, it may be rejected. Moreover, it rules applies even to my other products.

25. Innovine

Innovine

No worries. I commented out the line since it didn't seem to do anything, and the build succeeded. I noticed lines being drawn, but didn't look closely to see if it was all working as it should. Good enough for now I think, I just wanted to test my build.

26. Bivens32

Bivens32

It's just a visual scripting solution I'm working on that's in an EditorWindow. Probably won't ever sell it. The plan right now is to one day release it for free on github or openupm. I'm not trying to distribute your product. I had just hoped there was some way to incorporate it into my tool where only I could draw lines with it, but the people who use the tool couldn't use Linefy or any of it's APIs.

27. edufurlaneto

edufurlaneto

Hi.
    I am having the disappearing lines problem and can`t solve it. I tried changing the fadeAlphaDistance but still did not work.
    It seems to be related more to the camera FOV than the camera distance.
    I am using Playmaker to create and adjust the lines with this script.

using UnityEngine;
    using Linefy;

namespace LinefyExamples
    {
    [ExecuteInEditMode]
    public class Dinamic_Lines : MonoBehaviour
    {
    Lines lines;
    public void create_line(Vector3 start, Vector3 end, float width, Texture2D texture)
    {
    if (lines == null)
    {
    lines = new Lines(1);
    //assign lines
    lines[0] = new Line(start, end, Color.white, Color.white, width, width);
    lines.texture = texture;
    lines.transparent = false;
    // lines.fadeAlphaDistanceFrom = 0.01f;
    }
    }
    public void Update_pos (Vector3 start, Vector3 end )
    {
    lines.SetPosition(0, start, end);
    //lines.Draw(transform.localToWorldMatrix);
    lines.Draw();
    }
    public void draw()
    {

lines.Draw();

}
    }
    }

Thanks

Attached Files:

28. Innovine

Innovine

Try setting boundSize to something like 1 million?

polyflow3d likes this.
  29. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Innovine, thank you. Yes, it's definitely bounds related issue.
    To solve choice one of these options:
    • set lines .boundSize = -1 to auto recalculate bounds
    • set lines .boundSize huge value
    • draw lines at offset coordinates so that their origin can be seen in the camera. If the matrix is inside the camera, the size does not matter, it can even be zero.

30. edufurlaneto

edufurlaneto

Thank you both for the answer.
    BoundSize worked as -1 and 10000. :)
    Performance-wise, should I choose 10000? (I suppose -1 is constantly calculating the bounds).

31. Innovine

Innovine

Can you please take a look at it if you have some free time?

polyflow3d likes this.
  32. Innovine

Innovine

Dots are not drawn correctly in VR (OpenXR), they are double the size along the vertical axis... this should be a circle:
    Screenshot 2021-12-31 203039.png
    This is the default dots atlas index 0. It correctly draws as a circle in non-VR mode. When VR is enabled, it is rendered as above. The vertical stretch occurs in the vr camera space... turning the headset sideways and upside-down makes no difference, the long axis of the dot is always parallel to the nose-to-forehead axis of the headset.
    I'm using an OG Vive in Forward, SPI rendering mode.

33. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

It looks like it's a Unity bug with builtin shader variables.
    Is there vertical distortion for other objects, such as Lines?

34. Innovine

Innovine

I am only drawing dots right now, but I'll try doing some tests when I get a chance.

What unity shader variables do you think are buggy? I haven't noticed any problems with any other vr rendering.

35. Innovine

Innovine

Have you made any progress on this?

36. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Seems like wrong screen aspect ratio in provides in shader. Please contact me by email. I will try to make an quick patch .

37. Polyfemos

Polyfemos

Hello!
    I purchased Linefy after trying another popular Line drawer, while the lines in that product where nice the performance was far from ideal.
    Overall Linefy is awesome, I LOVE that there are 0 allocations during runtime etc. Great attention to detail!
    But one thing I cannot get to work is aligning lines with dots. The dots are offset in a nonintuitive way. Can you please help shed some light on how to get a dot to be centered at a specific location? See this simple example:
    upload_2022-1-25_18-2-26.png
    Notice how the red dot is slightly off-center. The problem is unfortunately a blocker for me, due to how lines and dots have to align in my project :(

polyflow3d likes this.
  38. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

the dot is at position 0.5, 0,5 0,5 while the intersection of the lines is at position 0.5, 0,5 0,0

Just change Vector3.one to Vector2.one in line 19

39. Innovine

Innovine

Hey, thanks. There's no need for a quick patch if you can update the asset in the next few months?

40. animal531

animal531

I'm experiencing an issue in HDRP (2020.3.19f1 LTS), lines will be heavily aliased (changing aliasing in the camera doesn't seem to do anything), for example from the Quick Start scene:

aliasing.png

The same will happen with for example the Circular Polyline example:
    aliasing2.png

Thanks,

41. lLcrowe

lLcrowe

I am satisfied after various tests after purchasing.
    but how draw arc?

42. dock

dock

Very disappointed to see that the UI/Canvas implementation doesn't work as expected. Linefy objects don't sort properly, ignore canvasgroup alpha, and in general are simply not UI objects. Worse yet, if you have a 3D camera position linefy skews your canvas in the 2D view mode, making it impossible to work with.

I bought Linefy because it had Canvas support, which is lacking in Shapes, so it's a letdown that I have to remove it from my project.

upload_2022-2-16_11-45-5.png

43. LiquidEggProduct

LiquidEggProduct

I'd like to have a width mode like Worldspace XY, except it is on XZ.

Anyway this is possible without adding a new width mode and changing shaders?

44. Innovine

Innovine

Any progress on this bug?

45. Innovine

Innovine

Please start showing some tech support responses in here. I don't want to change my positive review to a negative one, but people should know if this product has been abandoned.

46. flipwon

flipwon

Is what this user is reporting the same with lines in VR? I'm looking for a solution to draw lines but not interested in going through refunding processes if it is just broken for my use case.

47. Wanwu314

Wanwu314

Hi, I'm making a game where I need to randomly generate some 3D lines, but I often see the wrong overlap which can affect the visuals of the game. I want to know if there is a way to solve the sorting issues.

48. Innovine

Innovine

Good luck trying to get some support for this asset, it's been abandoned.

flipwon likes this.
  49. TheFlyHawk

TheFlyHawk

What is the way to implement a clickable line at runtime?

polyflow3d likes this.
  50. polyflow3d

polyflow3d

Liinefy is not abandoned. I serve in military and have limited time to support it.

yong991122 likes this.