Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question linear tonemapping

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by mlab2, Oct 5, 2023.

1. mlab2

mlab2

I'm using the HDRP in a research application (Unity 2022.3.6, HDRP 14.0.8, though that's flexible), and I'd like to configure tonemapping so that when I double all light intensities, the RGB triplet for each pixel doubles. And when I double a surface albedo, the RGB triplet doubles. And so on. So the idea is that I want to configure tonemapping so that it doesn't create a nonlinear relationship between scene properties like light intensity, albedo, etc., and the final RGB triplets. I know how to do this in the BRP, but haven't figured it out yet in the HDRP.

I tried adding a tonemapping override to the global volume and setting it to None. But when I check screen captures under a series of lighting intensities, the pixel intensities aren't proportional to light intensity. That's also true with the other tonemapping override settings (Neutral, ACES, etc.).

I also added an exposure override and set that to Fixed, so I don't think that's the problem.

I'm not sure if the problem is that I'm not using tonemapping right, or if there are other post-processing features (color adjustments? color curves?) that I should be configuring as well.

Also, I understand that the point of tonemapping is to squeeze rendered HDR into displayable LDR, and that that usually requires compression -- for my application I'm fine with disabling that.

Any suggestions appreciated.