Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Limiting the number of search results in SQL Data Explorer

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by KarsunkinOleg, Aug 30, 2022.

1. KarsunkinOleg

KarsunkinOleg

Hello everyone!
    I would like to know what are the Limits on the number of search results ?
    For example, I wanted to get a list of all sessions, all players for the last two months. But in response, I get about 1000 rows in just the last 2 weeks. If I make N requests for 2 weeks, I will get the full result. But why I can't get all the data ? I need for the specified period at once ..

helgrind21 likes this.
  2. RandyKlemola

RandyKlemola

Hello KarsunkinOleg,

Thank you for reaching out! As you've discovered, there is a "hard limit" on the number of rows displayed in the Data SQL Explorer, which is 1000. If you have some feedback related to this I'd be happy to send it over to the engineers. What are you looking to do with the 1000+ rows of data, and what are you currently doing to accomplish that?

If you're interested, there is a Data Access as well, however, this has certain pre-requisites to work, including:
    • A Snowflake account you created, independent of Unity
    • A Snowflake sharing key (account locator)
    • The cloud provider and region of your Snowflake account (must be either GCP EU-WEST4 or GCP US-CENTRAL1)
    Cheers!
    Randy

SebT_Unity likes this.
  3. anthony_unity176

anthony_unity176

Hi,
    I got the same issue with SQL data explorer. I am currently working on a fighting game where every row in my SQL demand check what happened in a single match (hit confirm, special move used, win/lost ect.). The game is not release yet and just with a few hundred users during the BETA period, it surpass the 1000 matchs played. Imagine now when the game came out. Like KarsunlinOleg said, it's very annoying to lose data because there a limit at how many row we can get.

The only solution I found to get all the data I need is to do a SQL demand per day (or half-day) which take a long time to do.

Is there a way that we can break that "hard limit" so we can access all the data without having to pass through another application like Snowflake?

4. RandolfKlemola

RandolfKlemola

Unity Technologies

Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the question! The first thing I would say, is I wouldn't recommend sending data for individual actions like that, as it will only serve to pollute your data with way more information than one could ever need. Instead, I'd recommend a sort of "endOfMatch" event that encapsulates all of that information (as you see fit) in a single event, sent once per match.

As for the SQL Data Explorer, the 1000-row limit does not mean you're losing any data, it just means that if your query fetches over 1000 rows of data from your database, it will only be able to display up to 1000 rows. What are you doing in the SQL Data Explorer that you consistently need to check the data daily, sometimes twice daily?

There is currently no way for our users to break the hard limit, however, I've given this piece of feedback to our product team as I also believe it is a good solution!

Unfortunately (since you've already mentioned you're not interested) it seems that using Data Access through Snowflake is your optimal solution (if you're exporting all of your data from the SQL Data Explorer).

5. awelch24

awelch24

I would also like to request to be able to remove the hard limit. Sometimes I need to pull lists of user IDs to send emails to or for other reasons. I'm fine with a limit on the size of the data returned (like deltaDNA has) but I don't like the row limit. Thank you!