Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Limitations of Intel 945 Chipset in Unity 3.1: No terrain splats by design or bug?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by DocSWAB, Nov 20, 2010.

1. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

I just built our terrain and tried to run it on a Mac Mini with Intel GMA 950 (945 Express) graphics, both under Windows Vista and OSX 10.6.5.

On both platforms, the terrain splat textures do not render at any quality setting. Only the base texture renders, which is of course very blurry given the size of the terrain. (The terrain renders very nicely on a GeForce 8600M GT on OSX 10.6.5)

Is this by design, or a bug in how the capabilities of the graphics cards being accounted for?

I see this with two different terrains, including a very simple one with only 4 splat textures, in a build that does not do anything in our code to manage the LOD settings for different cards. Both terrains were upgraded from Unity 2.6, first with earlier betas of 3.0.

Windows reports this about the graphics in the Mini:
    Direct3D:
    Version: Direct3D 9.0c [igdumd32.dll 7.14.10.1504]
    Renderer: Mobile Intel(R) 945 Express Chipset Family
    Vendor: Intel
    VRAM: 256 MB
    Caps: Shader=20 DepthRT=0 NativeDepth=0 NativeShadow=0 DF16=0 DF24=0 INTZ=0 RAWZ=0 NULL=0 RESZ=0 SlowINTZ=0
    desktop: 1280x1024 60Hz; virtual: 1280x1024 at 0,0

What do those flags for the Caps mean? Is that telling me I can't expect terrain splats? Or ???

Ack!!

2. DocSWAB

DocSWAB

I have tried one more time with a brand new scene and brand new terrain asset built in Unity 3.1 and still see that no splats are drawn at any quality setting on Intel 945, even with the maximum splat distance, etc., set on the terrain.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Bug report filed. We can't ship our game like this...