Search Unity

Limit velocity of Gravity (when i'm falling)

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Dinhov3, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Dinhov3

Dinhov3

Hi guys i have a question. I was studying Unity and doing a plataform game. I add a rigidbody in my player and turn on the Gravity, but i saw one thing. When he still falling (because of gravity), he fall each time more fast.

I want that he fall with a limit in that velocity. How could i do it in a simple way?

2. Edy

Edy

Try configuring the Rigidbody's Drag property. The larger value, the smaller maximum velocity.

3. centaurianmudpig

centaurianmudpig

You could clamp the value of the rigidbody.velocity to your desired max (+/-) velocity in FixedUpdate.

unity_eJRTnMTI_g4mXA and jvggp like this.
  4. dontdiedevelop

dontdiedevelop

rigidbody.velocity = Vector3.ClampMagnitude(rigidbody.velocity, maxVelocity); in FixedUpdate

unity_eJRTnMTI_g4mXA likes this.
  5. SparrowGS

SparrowGS

Just like in real life, with out any drag you dont have terminal velocity.

You can just use the drag to have a limit on top speed, note that this effects accelartion too and doesnt decrease with height(like ksp does) and you cant just type "top speed = 100"

Option two is to clamp the velocity vector to whatever like 2 have akready said

6. Dinhov3

Dinhov3

Thank you guys, the Rigidbody.drag resolved this o/

7. GuirieSanchez

GuirieSanchez

Sorry to necro this post, but I haven't seen much info about clamping the negative Y velocity.

This works great, of course, but imagine I want to clamp the negative Y velocity to a really small amount, such as 0.5f. Then, of course, the character/obj will fall very slowly. Let's say that it takes him 10 seconds to reach the ground. My problem now is that, if I use the x input to move the character while falling, then the clamp will add the X velocity to the Y velocity. This results in a fall that takes the character more time that those 10 seconds when he was just falling (it may take 20 seconds, for instance).

Is there any way in which you can set a maximum fall speed so that the character will fall at that very speed regardless of the X velocity?

8. jbBbBbBbBb

jbBbBbBbBb

I'm also having the same issue.

9. whoft

whoft

Use Mathf.Clamp instead.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. rigidbody.velocity = new Vector3(rigidbody.velocity.x, MathF.Clamp(rigidbody.velocity.y, minValue, maxValue), rigidbody.velocity.z)
    What this is doing is creating a new velocity vector with the other values unchanged and clamping ONLY the Y velocity.