Search Unity

Limit the Particle System > Render Alignment rotation of "View" or "Facing" to only 1 axis

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by stefanplc, Mar 9, 2019.

1. stefanplc

stefanplc

Hi there,

I have a 3d scene with a camera angle similar to RPG games like Diablo. In one of my scenes I'm using a Particle System to shoot up some rectangular planes with a texture on them. The Render Alignment is set to "World" and the rectanglular planes are rotated so they're sitting vertical, shooting directly up at 90 degrees. Everything looks great unless I'm viewing the Particle System from the side at which point the rectangles are very thin looking as expected. I would like them to continue sitting vertically but to rotate towards the camera. If I set the Render Alignment to View or Facing I can no longer see the rectangles from the side which is great, but they're no longer sitting vertical either making it so they clip with other geometry. Is it possible to have the Render Alignment behavior of View or Facing, but make it so it only spins to object around the Y axis instead of around all 3 axes? I'm using Unity 2017.2, has this feature been added in a more recent Unity version maybe?

Thanks!

2. bgolus

bgolus

Use the Vertical Billboard Render Mode?

3. stefanplc

stefanplc

Yep, perfect, thank you!