Search Unity

Limb Hacker

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by ThatJoeOverThere, Feb 14, 2013.

1. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

The sequel to Turbo Slicer has been submitted to the Asset Store and is online.

You can slice animated meshes in real time; you can give it a ragdoll and pieces will fall away with physics.

Try the sniper demo here and the precision demo here. Or check out the manual here.

Find it in the Unity Asset Store.

This post has been updated for version 1.1.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Holy crap... very nice... now with this, could I have this scripted during cutscenes and apply gore textures to the cut areas...?

3. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

this is awesome

4. Dextero

Dextero

This looks great! I've been looking for something to add to my action rpg to make it more dynamic and this just may be it!

5. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Version 1.0 is up now here.

There's gonna be an update in about a week or so to improve on the interfaces, infill and performance.

There will be the same Slicer/Sliceable construct that I have in Turbo Slicer where you can (for example) put a "slicer" onto a sword and it will automatically slice when it hits sliceables.

Video tutorials are coming soon. (Also for Turbo Slicer.)

"could I have this scripted during cutscenes"

Sure. You hack something off by calling a method.

"this is awesome"

Thanks!

"apply gore textures to the cut areas...?"

Yes; it fills in the slice hole with texture you provide.

It does need to be in the texture atlas though. See an example in the manual under the heading "infill".

"something to add to my action rpg to make it more dynamic"

If you get it, definitely look at how the demo is put together and how the enemy script (LHD2Enemy) calls for a slice. You could integrate this into an RPG and have a killing blow cut off an arm, or read that the left arm is missing and disable attacks with it, or ...

6. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Will the example include an example of infill texturing? Also, could you get a point near the slice/infill texture after a severing, to perhap instantiate and parent a prefab to the severed bone (eg: a blood particle system)?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  7. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Yessir. The included example is the complete sniper demo.

8. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Oops, I missed part of your question.

"Also, could you get a point near the slice/infill texture after a severing, to perhap instantiate and parent a prefab to the severed bone (eg: a blood particle system)"

I did not think of that but it will be in the next update.

9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

That would be awesome for Mortal Kombat style dimemberment... :)

10. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

hi !
    I just spent some hours implementing the Limb hacker on my zombie and now it works like a charm, except for two things :

As the full ragdoll stays with each cut part, some parts are sometime floating in the air. Do you know a way to figure this out ?

Second thing, my zombie mesh seems to be closed, but the material infill doesn't work at all. I'm taking a look to it with 3dsmax but I can't find some bad triangles or holes to fix. Can you maybe take a look to my case if you have enough time, or suggest something to try in order to fix that ?

thank you so much for the awesome work you did bro ;)

11. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

"some parts are sometime floating in the air . . . infill doesn't work . . ."

The short answer is that your model should work, therefore Limb Hacker is wrong and I will fix it :)

Would it be alright if you exported your two prefabs and sent them to me?

"thank you so much for the awesome work you did bro"

You're welcome!

12. Jum

Jum

Finnaly a working limb breaker. Very impressed with the result. Awesome script but its the worst demo it can be. I am looking from a scope and there is someting below which is hiding falling piecies:(. Could you please give more freedom in the demo. So people can test the script.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  13. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

Oh, really kind ! I just sent you a PM with my test scene ! Let me know if you need something else ;)
    thanks !

14. bocs

bocs

have you sent out codes to people who purchased Turbo Slicer for this feature?

Edit:
    Forums shows I have 0 PM's sent....I PM'd my invoice info a few weeks ago, I'll try again and maybe just email it.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  15. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Hi! Sorry, I was away from my desk for a few days to take care of some business before coming back to this.

"I just sent you a PM with my test scene !"

Working on this now.

"have you sent out codes to people who purchased Turbo Slicer for this feature?"

Working on this shortly.

"there is someting below which is hiding falling piecies"

You mean the rail?

I like the demo – I wanted to make a fun demo – but instead of tweak it a lot I'm going to make a different demo and add it. Stay tuned.

16. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

When did the price jump to $95? :(

Do you plan to add any precalculated slicing to save on performance?

17. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

It opened at 95. (It's the non-animated Turbo Slicer that's at 45.) Basically, this thing's a monster to maintain and I'm not really sure if there's a mass audience for it.

Any chance you're a student? I do give student discount.

That might be doable, but I have ran it on this old arm6 device with almost no perceptible lurch.

The main priority right now is flexibility (slice from different angles, slice at arbitrary points between joints) and making it fast enough to accomplish that on mobiles.

18. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

OK, there is an update I'm about to submit to the asset store.

There are several changes.

-Many bug fixes to the infill.

-Simplified interface. Infill texture is no longer atlassed. Just drop in a material of your choosing.

-The configuration components Sliceable and SliceableByPoint are now one; Hackable.

My apologies to y'all who have already done some configuration, but this one is much easier to put in than the last one so it should be a breeze to fix it. There will not be any further destructive interface changes.

-There are now two infill algorithms; "sloppy" and "meticulous".

Meticulous is the old one that Turbo Slicer uses. It tolerates multiple cross sections and only triangulates if the input is valid. It's a tad delicate.

Sloppy is a much simpler algorithm that works great with Limb Hacker; the nature of LH is that cross sections are very usually very simple.

-Second demo, which looks like this;

You can move the target to a specific point, then slice.

-Bugs in the Sliceable-By-Point interface are fixed. (It was having problems slicing the right point sometimes.)

I'm gonna look over the checklist once more, fix the manual and start uploads.

Sorry for the lateness; I hoped to get this in by Friday evening but a problem doing builds for a client torched half the week :( Somehow a Prime31 kit was mangling the Xcode export and the error message made it look like there was a provisioning problem. Good times!

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

So the texture fill material, how is that handled... does it use a simple planar texture, such as the spot where the cut is? Or if the body is cut vertically, how would I be able to fill it the detail of all of the gore? This is awwesome

20. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

"Or if the body is cut vertically"

I should warn you it's not doing that right now :( I haven't yet discovered a way to do that and produce a sensible ragdoll. I do have something like that in testing and another customer asked for a copy; I intend to clean it up best as I can and send it to people who ask, but it will have a few anomalies. At this time I do not know if it is fixable or if it will be part of the main product.

"how would I be able to fill it the detail of all of the gore?"

It is a simple texture; it produces some geometry to cover the whole, and maps a material to it.

I've uploaded two screenshots I just made with a test pattern (some checkers) and each infill algorithm; Sloppy mode, Meticulous mode

21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Sweet... I hope in a future update that you will allow limbs to be ripped off the body by pulling. I was planning MK and saw a lot of fatalities like this, and I hope you will be able to pull this off...

22. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Hmm, well that you can do that now.

First you need to actually make one character pull the other's arm, which would be done with baked animation or an inverse kinematics kit.

Then when your gameplay code decides it's been pulled enough, you call LH to sever.

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

The hard part will be stuff like spawning the guts and blood...

24. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Isn't that just instantiating a particle effect?

That reminds me - I'll put in an interface to give the slice position this week.

25. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am probably giving you ideas right now... the physical gore is usually an object inside the model... like a heart or a head...

26. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Update sent to the Unity folks. The sniper demo is now here and differs a tad. The new precision demo is here.

From here the priorities for this week are like so;

-Deploy to TS customers
    -Video tutorials
    -Get information back about the world-space position of the slice

And after:

-Controllable slice tilt

27. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

I think that would suffice. Once that gets in I'll definitely purchase. Getting the center point of the surface of the infill with the normal heading should be enough to recreate most any gore I can think of (spinal columns, bone nubs, intestines, etc). Anything more proprietary would imo compromise the flexibility of limb hacker methinks.

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This tool is awesome... now I have to ask you if we can set different cut areas with different textures, such as maybe a neck hole or a slice of brain (Sorry I watch a lot of horror films) and also do the meshes have to be closed?

29. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

That never occurred to me... I smell a complicated interface manual if I try to make a generic version.

But you can do something like this with the interface as-is:

Code (csharp):
    2. string boneName;
    3. float rootTipProgression = 0f;
    4. if( LimbHacker.instance.determineSlice( enemy.gameObject, severPoint, ref boneName, ref rootTipProgression ) )
    5. {
    6.  if(boneName == "head")
    7.   enemy.infillMaterial = brainMaterial;
    8.  LimbHacker.instance.severByBone( enemy.gameObject, boneName, rootTipProgression );
    9. }
    Where "enemy" is a Hackable, "severPoint" is a point in world space near where we want to cut and "rootTipProgression" is a figure with range [0,1) describing where along the bone (from root to tip) to cut. (The method "sliceByPoint" described in the manual encapsulates both the above interfaces into one call. Broken up here allows us to get access to some of the data.)

The old, "meticulous" infill algorithm requires it, however the newer "sloppy" infill does not.

But the "sloppy" infiller's UVs are a little wonky (have a look) and I need to look into that.

Yeah it definitely knows that, I'll just need to sit down and think up a nice, elegant way to expose that data. I'll let you know.

30. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

OK; version 1.1 is out in the asset store. I'll take care of the non asset store customers ASAP.

31. open_sketchbook

open_sketchbook

This is intensely cool. I'm talking to my team about it now.

32. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Any news? I sent in my invoice number a month ago... ?

33. anthonyk2

anthonyk2

hi Toby ! Just saw a update posted on the store, can you please maintain here the changelog ? Thank you in advance ;)

34. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Hi,

I am sending download links to customers off the asset store. Boss has received his.

@anthonyk2

I only changed the cover art this time.

There is an update coming however.

35. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Thanks Toby! I will check it out ASAP.

36. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

If you had problems with the sniper scope not appearing in the Sniper Demo or other demo problems, they are due to a Unity 4 importing bug and it has been solved like so: You may download the demos for Unity 4 here.

-Demos will no longer be in the main package.
    -Demos will be downloaded from the website.
    -Demos can be downloaded for Unity 3 or 4.

I found serious problems importing Unity 3 scenes via the package system and to solve it I am providing separate Unity 4 packages made in Unity 4. The same will occur for Turbo Slicer.

37. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

Is this dead?

38. nuverian

nuverian

Links in first post dont work :/

39. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I was thinking about getting this, but all support seems to be gone. None of the demo or manual links work, not even the links on the asset store.

40. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

This is not dead. The links appear to work. The site was down briefly due to a domain name payment failure where my card had expired, was replaced and I never got an e-mail notification about the registrar's failure to charge.

This project will see some action this week.

41. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

Behold.

http://noblemuffins.com/files/tilt.m4v

Angle is now controllable. New interface; this and Turbo Slicer will both support attachable "slicer" object. The new "sword" demo will be for both products. I've been working on these for two weeks straight and updates are coming soon.

P.S. Price will drop slightly with this update.

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I am glad you are still working on this... I will eventually need a system for dismembering ragdolls. I don't know how complicated this will be with an actually fully modelled skeleton in a prefab with all of the guts in it...

43. aaw990

aaw990

Hi Toby. Name's Aidan, and I'm a Game Design major at Columbia College Chicago. I'm working on a futuristic stealth action project for my portfolio, and the Limb Hacker asset is basically on my "Pipedream" asset list. In other words, I'm broke. Any discount would be appreciated, this feature is way too cool to pass up!

44. tr1stan

tr1stan

Hi toby, can I use Limb Hacker and Turbo Slicer at the same time? I have imported both package but there's an error

45. Evil-Dog

Evil-Dog

Hi there, I sent you an email but I feel like my question might be better suited here.
    So I bought LimbHacker and I had a question, possibly a problem.
    Is there a way to not use a ragdoll for the slicing? I have my animated model but I don't want it to go ragdoll when it's sliced. The documentation seems to say I do need a ragdoll though.
    I tried making a ragdoll, but it's not quite correct because my character is not in T-stance and I can't ask the artist for the T-stance.
    So far I'm getting a crash, here it is.

The line where it does: string parentKey = parentKeyByKey[boneKey];

KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
    System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2[System.String,System.String].get_Item (System.String key) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/c514da0c8183631c/mcs/class/corlib/System.Collections.Generic/Dictionary.cs:150)
    LimbHacker.severByJoint (UnityEngine.GameObject go, System.String jointName, Single rootTipProgression) (at Assets/Plugins/Noble Muffins/Limb Hacker/Source/Core/LimbHacker.cs:135)

The ragdoll itself, although kinda weird, is working in the scene if I drop it. but can't use it with LimbHacker

Thoughts?
    Hope you can help.
    Thanks

46. RagingJacob

RagingJacob

So it's been more than a year since Limb Hacker got released on the Asset Store, where is the love ?! o_O
    I mean, the asset hasn't been updates since May last year. Have the tilted cutting mechanics been added to Limb Hacker actually ?
    Why is this demo not included in the package ?

Noble Muffins has got some explaining to do, because Im thinking of buying this asset, it'd be a sad sad story if it's dead :(

47. ThatJoeOverThere

ThatJoeOverThere

I'm sorry. Last year was a really bad year and I've got a lot of catching up to do. I'm sending you a link to the current prerelease build.

48. aaw990

aaw990

Any chance I could get a hold of that link?
    I'm working on a demo I want to pitch to my fellows at the game dev studio I work at, but it doesn't quite feel complete...
    There's a distinct lacking in hacking, you could say.

Definitely buying the new build of the asset, regardless, though.
    I totally get what it's like to fall behind on development, so don't worry... people crave the ability to slice things, we can wait.

49. JovanD

JovanD

I managed to recreate that demo by modifying sword from Turbo Slicer sword demo, just remove slicer prefab and add your own slicer prefab with box colider and rigid body (remember to freeze positions) and just make a script that calls hack function and uses collision info.
    I pulled robot prefab from sniper demo cuz im lazy XD
    ahd here's the little script i hacked togather with my noobish skills XD
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class SliceScript : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     private const string messageName = "Gunshot";
    7.     public float voidDistance = 100f;
    8.     // Use this for initialization
    9.     void Start () {
    11.     }
    13.     // Update is called once per frame
    14.     void Update () {
    16.     }
    17.     void OnCollisionEnter(Collision other) {
    18.         Vector3 target;
    19.         target = other.contacts [0].point;
    20.         Debug.Log ("I hit something");
    21.         LHD2GunshotListener.announceGunshot(target, gameObject, other.collider);   
    22.     }
    23. }
    Enjoy o/ XD

50. jbooker410

jbooker410

Really stoked about the new build. Really interested in vertical cutting. Have you figured that out? if not in the main build could i get the one you that you spoke of in the earlier post some how? Also does the character have to be one mesh or can you cut multi mesh characters. Like clothes being another mesh etc.