Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Lil Smasher - iOS Puzzle Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by MooseMouse, Jan 27, 2014.

1. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

This is my first cut of the video trailer for my soon to be released iOS game, "Lil Smasher". Please let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for your feedback!
    Shawn

[video=youtube_share;F1vbTjOkGcI]http://youtu.be/F1vbTjOkGcI

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  2. Acumen

Acumen

Overall I looove the look you achieved and finetuned over a good amount of time now.
    For a trailer I feel that the finger is out of place. This makes it rather seem like an ingame tutorial.

The cuts in second half are indeed a bit weird, especially those that show awesome levels but just aiming actions or often just a glimpse of a second. While the cuts might work, the context is not really there.
    The last 10 seconds are great again. I wouldn't be upset if you deleted second 38-48.

I'm really no big video expert, I find it highly admirable what you did there, so bare with me.
    I think the introduction of garry is wonderful. The tutorial section seems redundant for me, as explained above it kinda breaks the game's universe with the sudden pop up of a finger, in my opinion. I would leave that out.
    The zoomed in action shots are a nice change !
    If you remove these things you have a super solid and charming ~45 seconds trailer that shows the true core of your game's experience !

Either way, you did a wonderful job once more ! Was worried this project didn't work out for or another reason.
    So give yourself a nice self-highfive for pulling through. Awesome !

3. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks for the feedback, Acumen! Not sure what I will do about the finger as I have received other feedback that is shows the simplicity of the gameplay. I'll have to give this some thought.

I like your input on removing the shots in which he is just aiming. It does seem a bit off. I am making a new version tonight/tomorrow. Hope to have something new to show tomorrow.

4. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

I've updated the trailer. I kept the finger, but made the other changes that Acumen suggested. I'm happy with this one, so I will check "video trailer" off the list and move on to the next item.

[video=youtube_share;F1vbTjOkGcI]http://youtu.be/F1vbTjOkGcI

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  5. TheRaider

TheRaider

Really needs some sound.

6. gwubgwub

gwubgwub

have you got it on mute?

7. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

It has sound on all of my computers and phones...

8. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

I'm getting close to submitting this game to the App Store. Here are the icons:

link to pixel correct version of icons: http://moosemouse.com/img/LilSmasherIconDesigns.jpg

I've also completely redone my website for the launch: http://moosemouse.com

And finally, I have a TestFlight build I would like to share with those who are interested. Specifically if you have an iPhone 3, iPad 2, iPad 1, or an older iPod since I have not tested the game on any of these. Please message or email me if you would like to be added to the TestFlight team.

All critiques are welcome :)

Thanks,
    Shawn

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  9. Zeblote

Zeblote

That's looking awesome!

10. jmatthews

jmatthews

Well done, and interesting looking game. Out of curiosity do you mind sharing what technology you used for the fur?

11. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks, jmatthews! The fur is made using layered planes.. it only looks good from front view, but that works fine for this game. I used to have an image that shows how I do it, but I can't find it anymore.

12. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Well, I just submitted this to the App Store. It is my first iOS game, so I hope I submitted correctly. Apparently it is taking an average of 5 days to approve newly submitted games, so hopefully it will be live next week!

And, here is some promo art:

I've got a press kit set up and I'm starting to write to all the review sites and blogs. I'm not particularly experienced at this part...

Attached Files:

13. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Lil Smasher has been approved for distribution in the iOS App Store and will be available (for free) on March 13th!

• 21 Unique Puzzles
    • One touch controls
    • Free to play with one 99¢ In-App-Purchase to remove ads if ads bug ya!

If you are a game reviewer and would like an early access promo code, please PM me.

14. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Change in plans. Just signed with a new publisher! So the release date will be pushed a bit. I believe it will be on or around March 20th.

Developing this game has been a crazy roller coaster of events. Started a year ago. Got a publisher. Then (amicably) parted ways. Decided to finish game and self publish. Realized I am terrible at marketing mobile games. Signed with a new publisher.

I'm extremely happy to be working with this new publisher, but also REALLY want to release this game and see how it does. Will post details when I know 'em :)

15. JorgeRule

JorgeRule

Great Work! Amazing looking game. I can't wait to play it.

16. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

17. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Yay! Lil Smasher has a release date! This Thursday, March 27th on the iPhone/iPad App Store!

Also got my first review of the game: Lil Smasher: A smashing good time

Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
  18. Nicolas-Liatti

Nicolas-Liatti

Congratulations!

The gameplay seems fun, and I love the art style. Definitely mine when it's released :)

19. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

@Nicolas.Liatti - Thanks!

Now, I have to announce, once again, that Lil Smasher will NOT be released tomorrow. I will post more details when I can.

20. Keith90

Keith90

The new trailer looks great. The game looks awesome.

I'm really happy for all the wonderful things that's been happening to you and I hope that you gain huge success with this game.

It makes me tempted to try to make my first mobile game. I hope it's not too different. I'll make sure to get your game and get others to do so as well. :)

21. pokobros

pokobros

Hi game looks great! Really cool idea. Make sure I will get it. One question though, how did you make the trailer? I have been trying to make one for my game and they don't look that good.

22. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Thanks! I used QuickTime for capture through the Unity Editor. Then I used After Effects and Premiere for editing. It was a lot of work :)

23. pokobros

pokobros

Yes, I know from previous experience on game trailers. Looks great though and good luck! I am a 13 year old app developer that just started with unity and would love for any tips or advice that you learned along the journey of this game.

24. MooseMouse

MooseMouse

Hmmm.. tips.. Well, as a 13 yo I think you have an incredible advantage. You have time to learn stuff thoroughly without the pressure of having to make money. As far as video trailers:

1. Avoid fancy dissolves, wipes, and logo effects. Let the game be the star of the video, not your editing software's gimmicky stuff.
    2. Make sure all captured video is full resolution for your trailer.. never up-res. You may need to borrow a friend's powerful computer if yours is not fast enough.
    3. When in doubt, less is more. Is better to leave the viewer wanting to see more than to bore them with your trailer.

Best of luck :)

25. pokobros

pokobros

Thank you for the advice!

unityunity