Search Unity

Like, put a big plane in the background and put a tiled image on it or something?

Discussion in '2D' started by obscene, Dec 1, 2013.

1. obscene

obscene

Another simple thing I'm trying to do, another headache. Everything with Unity is so complicated!!!

For my 2D sidescroller, I need a couple of background images that will just repeat as they scroll by. The natural way to do this, in my little mind, would be to stretch a plane across the background, load it up with a picture and tell it to tile. I know there are other complications considering I'm using a perspective camera and the distance and scale required, but I've figured out that stuff already when I made a background out of a single sprite. But time to move on, I need this thing to tile so I can start putting together an actual scene.

So pretty much any setting I tried to use for my Mesh Renderer "Shader" wouldnt allow me to tile. I would edit it, and the settings would just go right back to 1. But then I read online to use Transparent/Diffuse. Well that made my plane black so I figured out to add a light. Only to reveal THIS....

I know Unity is all better and stuff, but I'm a hair from crawling back to Game Maker as MY GOD everything was so much simpler but so limiting.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2013
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You wouldn't use transparent/diffuse unless you're using lighting; unlit/transparent would be more performant. Also there's no need to use the plane object, which has excessive triangles for this (use a quad instead), and don't use a collider unless you actually need it to collide with something. Change the texture to have a wrap mode of repeat instead of clamp.

--Eric

3. obscene

obscene

Ah, unlit transparent! Also I could have swore I had already selected repeat, I think I forgot when I deleted it all and tried it again using sprite default.

Thank you!