Search Unity

Lightweight XR Rig - Haptic feedback?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by irstudios, Sep 10, 2018.

1. irstudios

irstudios

I've got a VR project running in 2018.2.6, using the same XR rig (with the TrackedPoseDrivers) that gets created when you make a new LW VR project.

I'm trying to enable/fire haptic feedback events to the controllers. I'm unable to use the SteamVR plugin, because it seems to be fully unusable in LW. (Every time I try using it, the entire editor crashes after rendering a single frame. This happens even on an empty project.)

I also noticed there's an OpenVR package available in the package manager, but it doesn't actually appear to do anything. It doesn't change my project in any way, and it doesn't expose any new namespaces in the C# project. I'm curious what it can (if anything) actually be used for.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

What hardware are you using?

3. irstudios

irstudios

Vive, Standard hardware.

Trying to replicate the SteamVR-style "haptic pulse when hovering over an object" thing.

4. scvnathan

scvnathan

Personally I just bring in open_vr.cs (not the whole sdk) and trigger the haptics manually through that.

5. soleron

soleron

Allows you to easily use OpenVR. Just enabling it in your player XR SDK list lets you use standard cameras and other features without special setup.

Create an empty project, add the package, enable it in the player, and hit play.

Voila. Effortless VR support.

ROBYER1 likes this.