Search Unity

Lightweight Render Pipeline (LWRP) - GUI Only Game

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by DJ_JW, Aug 7, 2018.

1. DJ_JW

DJ_JW

Hello

Last year I started developing a heavily GUI based (actually really only GUI) based puzzle game in Unity and found that the battery consumption was pretty bad and decided to abandon the project for a while.

Now in recent months I have been checking out the SRP pipelines and have seen a couple of mentions that LWRP can see large improvements in battery life by limiting the features required by GUI only games.

Has anyone done this yet with LWRP that could point me in the right direction.

On preliminary investigation, it looks like LWRP performs better on mobile but I still think it will be consuming battery at an unacceptable rate for my requirements and I think the answer to this will be to not refresh all the time, only on interaction with a GUI components, I just don't know how to achieve that and information seems to be pretty light on the ground for this specific use case.

Appreciate any advice and thanks in advance.

2. DJ_JW

DJ_JW

Maybe no one has looked at developing a 100% GUI based game yet on LW-SRP but I wonder if there is any evidence that the battery consumption is better on LW-SRP than the built in renderer if no 3D models or FX are being used.

e.g. with a 2D card game with no animation on the screen will LW-SRP provide better battery life than the original renderer.?

Is there an inherent improvement in the render loop cost on LW-SRP without special "GUI Only" changes to the render pipeline.

Thanks in advance.