Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightweight Development.

Discussion in 'VR' started by Shaba1, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Shaba1

Shaba1

I watched this video on Hololens developement with unity on Youtube.:

My question:
    Two questions:

#1 Do you HAVE to have the full Visual Studio. I use Visual Studio code for unity scripting just because it is lighter and less resource heavy.

#2 From this video I inferred that you needed a special version of unity that is made especially for Hololens. Is that true on can I use my present installation of unity?

2. Leyvin

Leyvin

Answer 1 • You can use Visual Studio Code, Community, Professional or Enterprise 2015 on-ward (v14.0.0)
    Provided you have the Windows SDK (I'd recommend 16299 or later) installed, and using Windows 10 v1709 or Later.

Answer 2 • HoloLens is compatible with Unity down to Version 5.6, however I'd highly recommend either 2017.2 with the Windows Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity... or 2018.1 on-ward (with or without the Toolkit)

What I would recommend would be:
    Visual Studio Community 2017 (15.7.4)
    Windows SDK (Build 17134)
    Windows 10 (Version 1803)
    Unity 3D 2017.2.1f
    Mixed Reality Toolkit for Unity 3D (May18_Dev)

Remember you will *require* both the x86 and ARM Compilers and Compatible SDK., as HoloLens is technically an AIO Unit as opposed to being a HMD Accessory for Desktop / Mobile System.
    As such your Runtimes will be Uploaded and Run locally on the HoloLens, as opposed to the Host System.

It's something to keep in mind when developing for HoloLens rather than Windows Mixed Reality, which is just a HMD Accessory.

Shaba1 likes this.
  3. Shaba1

Shaba1

Thanks for the clarification.