Search Unity

Lightwave Rig for Unity?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by groovedude, Dec 28, 2009.

1. groovedude

groovedude

Basically I'm interested in learning rigging with Lightwave for low-poly models to be used in Unity. Here are a few of my most immediate questions:

1. Does it matter what axis I have my character lying down on? Or should it just be standing up?

2. This question probably goes hand in hand with the next question below. For a low poly model should I use a small bone in the middle of a "joint" (see attached image) between larger controlling bones--so I can keep vertexes with 100% weight to one bone? Or should I just skip that an use varied weight percentages across a few bones?

3. A vertex can be affected by up to 4 bones, however this also depends on what Quality Setting you selected for your game. The obvious answer to my next question is going to be "it depends, if you know your intended quality setting then set your weights appropriately..." With that in mind, do you think it best to aim for the lowest game level and do 100% weight on each vertex to one bone, or should you use weights as deemed necessary for nice distortion?
    (source below)
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/ScriptReference/BoneWeight.html
    http://unity3d.com/support/documentation/Components/class-QualitySettings.html (see blend weights option)

4. Do you have any tips for modeling/rigging the shoulder area to get nice rotation and deformation?

Attached Files:

2. chilton

chilton

I generally create my Skelegons (and the skelegon hierarchy) in Modeler, dump that to Layout, convert skelegons to bones, and activate IKBoost. Then I set up the various IKBoost settings, and go to town.

What kinds of problems are you having?

Thanks!
    -Chilton

3. groovedude

groovedude

You're not using weight maps? If so, how do you keep bones from influencing geometry you don't want it to?

4. hai_ok

hai_ok

I would be willing to buy a nice LW Rig for Unity.