Search Unity

Lightwave 9 Universal Binary?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by islanddreamer, Aug 1, 2006.

1. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

2. Morgan

Morgan

I use LightWave--the Universal version should be out around the time I get my my first Intel Mac. (NewTek has previously said it would be out after LW9, but before the end of the year.)

And I assume it will saturate as many cores as you have, too. I aim for 4 :)

But I wouldn't assume the worst about Maya--I believe they have already said they will make Maya Universal. (I think there was a link to that statement on the NewTek forums, of all places, but I don't have it.)

3. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Yes, but there was a post on CGTalk yesterday from someone identified as an Alias employee who said the person who had promised a UB version had been gone for six months!

The issue seems to be (pure speculation) that Apple has not yet commited to a 64bit version of OS X. Make of that what you will...

4. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

I think I'm going to bite the bullet, and LW seems to be the only thing I can swallow in terms of pricing. I'm serious about at least giving it a true attempt at making games witht he tiny bit of time I do have, and bought the Unity pro license.
    Maya's only available to me in inconvenient fashion (older version, older computer, not even sure I should legally be using it even though nobody else does atm), and a bit too costly from what I can see.
    I bought a new iMac, Unity, so I guess there's no point in going insane trying to get blender to work smoothly and then using a PC or parallels to use milkshape.
    GameSpace was a bad idea, but I might just stick with that shareware-feeling PC app.
    LW is probably the only thing I'd invest in at this point.
    I need animation and ease of implementation dang it. :(

5. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

And is money the only reason you wouldn't consider going with Cinema 4D? I'm very curious about that app, but I've never been able to get "into" it. I wanted to download a Mac demo, but the only thing I could find on their site was the PowerPC and Windows versions.

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Cinema4D has even better integration into Unity than Lightwave.

7. Morgan

Morgan

I like LightWave, but it depends on Alias's FBX exporter--an added step, and one that has caused me a problem in one instance (textures didn't carry over until I fiddled).

Also LW9 will be Universal, but isn't just yet.

8. frigginjoe

frigginjoe

Glad I spent some time researching. Cinema 4d does in fact look like where I'm going. I may even enjoy using it. :O
    I'll sleep on it, and hopefully not have a reason to get more expensive packages than the baseline $695 app.
    (Well, any real benefits from the additional modules for Unity?)
    Direct support w/ Unity, interface seems very intuitive based on the bit of time with the demo (this is what I like a lot about Cheetah3D), reviews are overwhelmingly positive and it's not frickin' gameSpace.