Search Unity

Lights per object only

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by hippocoder, Feb 14, 2020.

1. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Quick question:

I'd have loved to be able to do 4 lights per object properly, as in I would like to authoritatively reserve 4 lights per rendered object instead of sorting/sharing (I know exactly what lights I want for what object and they must not be shared)...

Currently I have to use the main layers for this as Unity otherwise tries to sort them and cull them and they pop and it's all very silly. As you can imagine I ran out of layers. Is there a better way to assign lights directly to rendered objects without sharing and without layer limits?

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

Not really a solution, but You can probably sort your lights yourself with
    var foo = FindObjectOfType(typeof(Light));or var foo = FindObjectsOfType<Light>();

You can set a custom shader and pass the lights data manually as parameter.

I'm still investigating that, I need to do meshless lighting on a texture. Currently spelunking the cginc :(

3. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

This part of the light sorting per object is locked away in the c++ side right now and we can't really expose it in a non trivial way as it ties in deeply with the culling system and a number of other things :( We are exploring how in the (far) future we could expose things like this but it's going to require a redo of a lot of the underlying tech.

neoshaman and hippocoder like this.
  4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thanks Tim, this is a good heads up. I have put some basic dir and point lighting in the shader itself my end which is quite cheap (no spec etc) and will do + some URP lights for niceness.

neoshaman likes this.