Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lights in URP inquiry

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by Noxirus, May 27, 2020.

1. Noxirus

Noxirus

Hello,

I am working on a game that utiilizes quite a few lights (its set in a dark environment but with many light effects to give it a sense of.. character?). I recently wanted to upgrade my project to include URP but I am having an issue with it not allowing me to have all the lights that I want. Static baked lighting doesnt work in this case because baked lightmaps are unable to track players moving past them and cast the appropriate shadow.

My question is: Is there a way to add a whole bunch of lights to a project using URP? Creating shader graphs? If so how would one go about doing that? Thanks for your time.

2. liiir1985

liiir1985

use a lot of dynamic point light is in general a bad idea in a forward render pipeline, currently it's impossible to have more than 8 lights affecting the same object in URP(even with builtin pipeline, you'll have to struggle if you are using the forward render path). So I'd suggest either to limit the light count under 8 for each object, 32 lights in the screen, or you'd have to wait for the deferred render path of URP(which is available for testing on github)

3. Noxirus

Noxirus

Kk thanks for the information. Will take that into account and see if I can simplify my project a bit in terms of the lighting.