Search Unity

Bug Lights get grouped and merged

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Rackover, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Rackover

Rackover

Hello,

I have an issue with my lights
    I have a street with streetlamps, and a car with headlights

The car's headlights are marked as "important", they're two spotlights
    upload_2021-1-16_23-15-55.png

The streetlamps are very wide, atmospheric spotlights and they're not marked as "important"

For a reason specific to the game I cannot bake my streetlamps' light.

The problem I have is when I'm driving under the streetlamp, it turns off.

This problem only happens if I have the headlights of the car turned on. I feel like the light from my headlights and the light from the streetlamp get "grouped" somehow? And so visually, the streetlamp turns off which looks very bad.

I have also a lot of artifacts with lights that are completely bonkers, like my headlights turning off for no reasons or being unable to light up past a certain model.

I recorded a few videos:

Here you can see the streetlamp on the right turning off and on as soon as I get further or closer:

Here you can see a wide variety of artefacts happening as I do nothing but driving in a straight line under the streetlamps:

Here my headlights disappear and reappear randomly as I drive on a single, simple plane with no other lights anywhere close:

where do I start to look to solve any of that? I've read the documentation of Unity about lights, but could not find how to solve this problem. I do not mind the lights from my streetlamps being grouped together, but I dont want them to visually turn off so brutally, and I would like to have my headlights at all times!

Kind regards,