Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

LightProbes with multiple "Additive" scenes

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by guilovsh, Nov 23, 2017.

1. guilovsh

guilovsh

Hi guys,

I'm currently working on a Unity 2017.2.0p2 project where we have split up our world in multiple scenes and we need these scenes to load instantly once the player arrives at certain destinations.

To achieve that we are loading all scenes with LoadSceneMode.Additive at the start of the game. We are baking all of these scenes lightings separately due to how big they are and as soon as a specific scene is needed we activate this scene with SceneManager.SetActiveScene() which in turn activates the scene's respective lightmap and other light settings.

Our problem is that this does not work for lightprobes which we will definitely require for moving objects. I mean, is this a bug? is it working as intended? considering the amount of options that are activated upon .setactivescene() we were really counting on it also setting the active lightprobes to be the ones from the active scene.

I've found this on the issue tracker and although it says "FIXED" pretty much all the comments are of people complaining about it not working. (https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...-use-light-probe-data-from-first-loaded-scene)

And I also found this post https://forum.unity.com/threads/how-to-add-update-light-probes-when-using-load-additive.394508/ where one guy suggests loading all scenes additively and then baking the light of all the scenes together... Well, the main reason the scenes are split up is because these are really big environments and even split up it takes a long time to build the lights. And also: baking all of them together in a nice resolution would result in 16gb+ ram computers running out of memory every single time.

In fact, there seems to be a lot of threads and complaints about it since 2012. (https://forum.unity.com/threads/light-probes-and-additive-scene-loading.136853/)

If this is working as intended (which shouldn't be since it's not working as someone would expect), does anyone know of any workarounds for my setup?

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  2. scvnathan

scvnathan

Yeeep, I feel your pain. Our team has the same issue. Light probes from the additive scene don't work :(
    I think its meant to be a supported workflow (I mean why wouldn't it? Without it, additive scene loading is so limiting), but they haven't got around the supporting it yet. IMO, lighting has been the weakest core feature of Unity for a while now.

Hopefully someone has more information on this

3. danielrugu

danielrugu

4. jimx78

jimx78

j'ai tester avec la toute dernière version et cela ne marche toujours pas, je sais plus quel direction va prendre le projet..