Search Unity

[Save $600 offer !✅] Particle Dynamic Magic URP -Advanced FX Framework (Decal, Particle, Spline, AI)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by nasos_333, Apr 8, 2014.

1. nasos_333

nasos_333

Cuttng through rolling fog and ground leaves demos WIP.

2. nasos_333

nasos_333

3. nasos_333

nasos_333

Particle Dynamic Magic 2.0 is almost ready for release.

New features:
    - Dynamic decals, for bullets, snow, ice spread & dynamics)
    - Thinking particles (Particle AI module, for flocks, herds and swarms)
    - Skinned mesh emission with mask for gameobject particles
    - New spline particle & gameobject emission modes
    - New multiple transform emission modes
    - Ribbon rendering
    - Huge number of new advanced samples
    - New image emission features, like local gravity
    - 2D Particle collisions, with bounce and various controls
    - Freeze and break targets, using the mesh emission and transitions module
    - Localized Dynamic particle transition to other systems
    - Blood splatter, stick and drip in real time
    - Dynamic gameobject particle god rays, with turbulence
    - Dynamic Feathers, with skinned masked gameobject emission

4. FamerJoe

FamerJoe

The portals are throwing errors in console, saying they must be convex. When I tick convex, they throw this error:

Cooking::cookConvexMesh: user-provided hull must have less than 256 vertices!

5. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Is this happening in Unity 5 ?

Also what is the name of the effect ?

6. FamerJoe

FamerJoe

Yes, Unity5. It at least happens with Portal (Unity PRO), and possibly the other portals/water shields.

7. nasos_333

nasos_333

Ok, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I am checking it out and will post results asap.

8. nasos_333

nasos_333

I checked it and indeed produces an error. From some research i found that this is a new issue with Unity 5 and has to do with how it handles colliders now.

Reference:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/mesh-collider-with-trigger-but-not-convex-in-unity5.307925/

I would say this is a bug, since it should work out of the box and breaks things from Unity side, which is not something that can be handled easilly.

A fast workaround for this is to remove the Unity 4 collider and add a box or other shape collider. The portal will still grab the impact and ripple, so the behavior will be the same. Hopefully Unity will fix this problem soon, so this may work out of the box for both versions.

Please let me know if this solves the problem on your side.

I will release a separate pack for Unity 5 in the upcoming version 2.0 too, i will have box colliders setup in this one. I can also provide a prefab with the new setup if needed, for reference.

Nasos

EDIT: I also checked the shield around the hero, this has the same issue and for this one you could use a sphere collider instead of mesh one (would be faster as well). Or a sphere from Unity 5, all scripts are compatible with any mesh, so these spheres are just a sample that can be changed with the final assets.

EDIT 2: I post a pic with the setup with sphere and box colliders, for reference

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  9. FamerJoe

FamerJoe

Thanks nasos, I actually wasn't even using the collider, so just removing it was enough. Idk why I didn't realize that earlier, but glad I didn't, or I probably wouldn't have reported the bug ! :D

10. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed :), it is always great to find out about things like that sooner than later, since it is hard to grab when testing such a big scale asset.

I used the collider to activate the ripple effect upon collision, so if the ripple effect is not used can be removed, plus you can remove the scripts that do the collision check and procedural ripple effect as well.

11. nasos_333

nasos_333

Qucik Fix for Unity 5 (also coming in v2.0 of the pack soon)​

Quick fix for ParticleCollisionsPDM.cs (in Version1.5/Scripts/Propagation folder)

I think the line10 issue should be resolved automatically upon importing the script.

Change:
    Code (csharp):
    1. L10   p11 = this.gameObject.particleSystem;
    2. to
    3. L10   p11 = GetComponent<ParticleSystem>();
    6. L17   collisionEvents = new ParticleSystem.CollisionEvent[1][];
    7. to
    8. L17   collisionEvents = new ParticleCollisionEvent[1][];
    11. L38   private ParticleSystem.ParticleCollisionEvent[][] collisionEvents;
    12. to
    13. L38   private ParticleCollisionEvent [][] collisionEvents;
    16. L204 collisionEvents[j] = new ParticleSystem.CollisionEvent[p11.safeCollisionEventSize];
    17. to
    18. L204 collisionEvents[j] = new ParticleCollisionEvent[ParticlePhysicsExtensions.GetSafeCollisionEventSize(p11)];

There is also an issue noted with the colliders in the shield and portal effects in Unity 5, this can be fixed by removing the mesh colliders and apply a box or sphere collider to grab the collisions for the ripple effect.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
  12. nasos_333

nasos_333

13. nasos_333

nasos_333

The support for the pack has been amazing !!!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to review the pack. I will have a secret cool bonus for the next written review as well.

Please post the review here as well to be eligible for the offer.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  14. nasos_333

nasos_333

The pack has 9 written reviews of perfect 5 stars !!!

15. nasos_333

nasos_333

Particle Dynamic Magic 2.0 is almost ready for release.

New features:

- Dynamic decals, for bullets, snow, ice spread & dynamics. Spread and melt ice/snow locally and have all kind of effects on bullet impact, like normal oriented particle spray, hole texture that can stay or go away.

All decals stick properly to gameobjects and can follow their changed transformations !!!

- Thinking particles, Particle AI module, for flocks, herds and swarms. This system combines the dynamic spread of thinking gameobjects, that respond to all Particle Dynamic Magic effects (gravity, tubulence, forces etc) and can also sense the environment and find pathways around obstacles. This is a complete AI system, that will also be available as stand alone later.

A horses herd and butterfly swarm samples are ready and will be inlcuded in the pack. A system for following a targets trail is also almost done and beeing polished, for the herd leader motion.

- Skinned mesh emission with mask for gameobject particles
    - New spline particle & gameobject emission modes
    - New multiple transform emission modes
    - Ribbon rendering, for easier emulation of curved line particles
    - Huge number of new advanced samples
    - New image emission features, like local gravity
    - 2D Particle collisions, with bounce and various controls
    - Freeze and break targets, using the mesh emission and transitions module
    - Localized Dynamic particle transition to other systems (for local burst of bubbles etc)
    - Blood splatter, stick and drip in real time
    - Dynamic gameobject particle god rays, with turbulence
    - Dynamic Feathers, with skinned masked gameobject emission
    - New water shield and tornado storm effects.
    - New magic cast effects, complete with 1st person hand animation sample
    - New machine gun sample to showcase the decals system
    - New cut through rolling fog and leaf bed samples
    - New dynamic lightning modes

and much more !!!!! Version 2.0 will be the most behemoth update i have done in a pack yet.

FamerJoe likes this.
  16. nasos_333

nasos_333

17. BigB

BigB

Hello,

I was wondering, as this is not Unity particles, if the particles can receive/emit shadows ?
    I'm looking at making smoke that gets shadows from the environment or emits shadows to the environment.

Thanks !

18. nasos_333

nasos_333

Mixed gameobject particles for shadow cast/receive and Shuriken for extra depth/edge fade

Gameobject particles only

The problem with particle cast/receieve shadows is that Unity has a general limitation in transparency shadows.

I can enable shadows when using gameobject particles, but i cant use transparent items with shadows.

Here is a sample, i emit quads that align randomly at start and attach a cutout + shadows material , plus add a quad with a transparency smoke to add the edge fade effect.

I will add this sample in v2.0 of the pack

Note that this is using cutout material and not true transparency, since Unity does not support shadows from transparent materials. It is a trick to fake the effect that may work depending on the use case though. Also it is rather heavy because of the shadows.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  19. BigB

BigB

Hi nasos_333,

Thank you for the reply.
    Yes, I'm aware that unity particles/shuriken do not allow for shadow receive as they are vertex lit quads.
    But from my understanding your particle system is made with gameobjects, so we can apply to them whatever shader we want, we are not limited to the particles shaders, correct ?

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Indeed, the above pics are made with individual gameobjects that cast and receive shadows and any shader can be applied. But i am not 100% pleased with the effect since the shaders i can make with shadows can only be cutout ones and even though i made a compound with a soft edge, it does not feel perfect as a true transparency with shadows would.

If there is a shader that does transparency + shadow cast/receieve properly, it could be used to perfect the effect. I dont know yet if such a shader can be made and how though. Also maybe Unity 5 offers more to that direction, i will check it out.

21. nasos_333

nasos_333

22. BigB

BigB

nasos_333, check your messages ;)

23. nasos_333

nasos_333

Shadows on smoke from directional light (can be extended later to do point lights as well)

Colored shadows on transparent particles

UPDATE:

I have recently managed to create a system to cast/receieve shadows from particles. This is an aproximation technique, but gets the job done and has many options.

This system will be available in Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0.

What do you think of the effect WIP ? Shadows can be completly controllable (color, transparency, ambience etc) and are fully cast in real time.

24. BigB

BigB

It seems good mate :) ,post a video whenever you have the chance !

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks :). I will prepare a small video to show the effect in motion as soon as i have a nice scene setup ready.

26. nasos_333

nasos_333

Sun shadows on particles approximation.

UPDATE:

Small study on how shaders are affected by the particle sun shadows. From left to right, Alpha Blended, Vertex Lit Blended and Additive shaders receive shadows from the sphere.

Video will follow, just one more sample to finish.

This is from Unity 4, so particles wont cast a shadow. In Unity 5 the system has a gameobject emission implemented (in Unity 4 as well) that will cast proper shadows as well, using the "Shadows only" mode on the gameobject quad particles and a "Fade" universal material.

27. nasos_333

nasos_333

Cut through lighting mode, for Thin dust emulation.

UPDATE:

Final sample is done, shadows besides appearing darker, can also be used in "cut through" mode for thin dust emulation that dissapears in shadow.

***** Please if possible, remember to leave a review that will help the pack grow & get all the cool new features faster ! *****
    ***** Thanks a lot for all the support in advance :) ! *****​

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
  28. BigB

BigB

Looks cool neso :)
    video video !!!

29. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks, video is coming up soon, i just find out new things constantly and want to inlcude them all :)

30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Here is a first video

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

32. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A new big system has now formed and will be included in Particle Dynamic Magic (and also as standalone).

AI Particles have turned to the complete AI Agent Particles that will not just sense their space, but also do all sorts of behaviors, like jumping obstacles.

This new system allows the spread of AI agents on the map like they were particles.

A video will follow soon.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
  33. nasos_333

nasos_333

New blend modes and shaders, for extra detailed effects with minimal particle use

UPDATE:

New shaders have been added for extra detailed effects with minimal particle use.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

The pack is now back to the regular price.

Make sure to grab it at the current lower price before version 2.0 arrives. ($70 instead of $90)

The asset has been moved to "Editor extensions -> Effects" category in the store.

35. nasos_333

nasos_333

Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0 possible icons

Small fraction of the new effects and systems in PDM 2.0

UPDATE:

A small sample of the new systems & ready to use effects coming in Particle Dynamic Magic v2.0 - free for all customers !!!!

This is just a small fraction of all the new samples i have created, i will post another set soon with the 1st person spell casting, the full range of decal possibilities and much more

I wonder which of the above icons to use for the new version, any input would be welcome :)

36. nasos_333

nasos_333

UPDATE:

A new system for controlling spread of decals based on target angle has also been added. This will be ideal for snow decals that would not appear correct if sprayed on vertical surfaces for example and for generally better control of the spray conditions.

37. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

Sorry if this question was asked before, what is the main difference between your Particle Dynamic & Particle Playground?

How is the mobile performance? Particles on mobile devices often suffer from Fillrate issue. How does your Particle Dynamic deal with it? Can I generate good amount of particles on mobile devices with your system?

Can I request Toon Effects Maker & Particle Dynamic bundle? Any plans on these two products on sale soon? :)

38. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi,

Thanks for the interest in the packs :)

The system has some similar functionality to Particle Playground, like Turbulence (also supports vortex creation), Forces (Gravity etc), Transitions (fully real time from any source to any target), Splines (possible to use with physics, samples included), Mesh (procedural, animated etc) and image emission etc, but in general it is completly different in most other aspects and is a tool for both particles and gameobjects.

It can be used to emit anything from anything else, it is not just about particles. All the forces etc can be applied to gameobjects, which can be animated, scripted etc. I include a full customizable static/dynamic batching system for this purpose and also i will have a full Dynamic Decals system in the coming v2.0, plus a new Particle AI system will come in v2.0, so flocks can sense their environment.

Particles on mobile is always a problem, there is no easy way to handle this besides clever use of shaders, batching and multithreading. I already support both custom batching and multithreading in the pack, but I am also working on new "less particles - more shaders" approach for the coming soon v2.0. This will greatly increase usuability on mobile as the effects can appear more full and detailed with a lot less particles (sample in the fire pics in the above posts). This will be WIP for some time too, as i do more work on the new shaders and the new ribbon system.

Besides the big ammount of features, the pack also includes 200+ samples to readilly use and much more are coming in v2.0 (at least 50 more, even more advanced). Also this system ties to Sky Master and the upcoming Dynamic AI system i am working on, that will use it for optimized decals (one pool per decal) and particle/effect distribution.

Toon Effects Maker is a separate pack which is directed towards the stage before the dynamics applied with Particle Dynamic Magic and its purpose is to compose effects that will then be used with PDM. It supports the creation of projectiles, fully customizable with light, sound and effects from the library. Also has a Sprite Sheet creation module, to easilly turn any complex effect to a 2D one for mobile or 2D games.

Also includes cool ocean effects and a big separate library of ready to use effects, that can also be used as templates to copy features from (for example if you like the way a tornado in the library moves and want to apply just that to another particle, it is possible with a few clicks in the Editor).

I dont plan a bundle with these at the moment.

Hopefully i covered a good summary of the packs :), there are much more in there too. I have a nice Angry Bots implementation of PDM as well, available on demand (and coming in a zip file in v2.0 as well).

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    ikemen_blueD likes this.
  39. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Ikemen I have both PDM and particle playground and for mobile I think PDM makes more sense. Particle playgrounds main strengths are its performance with large numbers of particles ie 30 000 or more in one system it also caches data and so can very efficiently transition between completely different particle systems with morphing animations automatically even if the systems have different numbers of particles, it also has better interactive control of colour chances of particles with manipulators and a more integrated UI. The issue is that most of these effects require a lot of particles so fill rate means they are not suitable for mobile and I think this caching uses more memory. It does work fine on mobile if you reduce the number of particles but most of the demos included with particle playground seem to be targeting desktop performance.

PDM has the benefit of being able to manipulate anything not just particles it can even control particle playground systems so you can combine the two. Its main strengths are that it will interface or control any other system, seems to be more efficient than particle playground with multiple small particle systems , has more accurate and sophisticated physics collisions and will batch draw calls and automatically combine meshes of any game objects it is controlling. Really the most powerful feature of PDM is its ability to emit game objects rather than just particles and batch them to reduce draw calls while still allowing you to interact with each object individually at runtime. Most of the demos included with PDM appear to run ok on mobile.

In general you will have to limit your interactive particles to a few 1000 with which ever system you use and also possibly force the screen to a lower resolution to reduce fill rate. If you need more particles than that you would have to bake them into a sprite sheet but at that point you would lose any interactivity and therefore a lot of the advantage of using either PDM or particle playground in the first place.

ikemen_blueD and nasos_333 like this.
  40. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks for the comprehensive analysis Ian.

The new version of the pack (2.0) will have some new tricks to enchance performance on mobile, inspired by Diablo 3 techniques with shaders. This will allow the use of far less particles that will still give a lot of detail.

v2.0 will have the base shaders and samples for this system and the plan is to play a lot more with shaders and DX11 as i move along the v2.x versions.

41. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

@ Ian, thanks for very clear explanations. Now, I just need to wait this on sale :( I'm quite broke after Madness Sale on AS. I'm thinking of using Opaque particles, I don't know if PDM has any cool opaque particle shaders yet?

42. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there any sample if what you would like to achieve ? I can always devise a shader based on specs, i have not made any fully opaque shaders for the pack yet.

I use cutout style shaders for Decals, which are semi opaque.

43. ikemen_blueD

ikemen_blueD

Geometry FX Particles
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/21308

I will use his Particles for my lowpoly art level. I have 2 ways in mind to generate around 300-500 particles, with affordable performance cost:

1) I'm planning to turn his 2D Texture to 3D Opaque Mesh. From what I know, Mobile can render quite a large amount of Opaque meshes. And, I use your PDM to emit 3D Opaque Particle Meshes.

2) I'm using his 2D Texture but with Opaque Particle shaders, to avoid much Transparency usage. Probably, doing so, may reduce Fillrate issue.

44. nasos_333

nasos_333

You can emit mesh with opaque using the Shuriken mesh system too, but without Particle Dynamic Magic effects and control. You could test it with Shuriken to see if the opaque effect does well in your setup and then move to the more advanced controlling with PDM.

The fill rate will definitly be helped if everything is opaque or at least well batched

Another way to help performance is to group textures and emit less particles and use shaders to add variety.

ikemen_blueD likes this.
  45. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Great news of V 2.0 and amazing, awesome and spectacular new effects, will be waiting to see what new great things you have created and it will become one of the best particles creator assets, hope and wish to see it soon.

ABOUT THE NEW ICONS FOR 2.0

From my personal point of view and considering the potential and power of this asset I would choose the first or second one, although the last one is also good and cool too, it must show clearly that these are particles, as the previous icon looks like it is painted, instead of created with particles.

nasos_333 likes this.
  46. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello again, I have bought the Advanced FX Creator some time ago, but did not have time to learn and use it, now I wonder if this Particle Dynamic Magic would be useful and helpful to make this I want

I have been searching all the asset store and also on internet, but have not found a shiny starry night skybox with many shiny stars, and if they could be animated even better.

I have seen this music video that have some really awesome and amazing shiny starry animated night skies

10 seconds after beginning (direct link here) there is one example of this

But I want it to be black and not blue, so there is a better example shown at 2:06 minutes

Please, can you be so kind to tell me if this can this be done with Particle Dynamic Magic? I know that it would need to make them with particles, but do not know how to apply them to the surface of the skybox if possible, or how to do it

Maybe I can pay to do it for me if it is possible

Thanks very much for any help

best regards

47. nasos_333

nasos_333

Thanks a lot for the kind comments :)

The next update is a true behemoth, i am trying to contain the effects, just cleaning it up seems will take me 3-4 days :)

About the starry sky, that is easy to do without Particle Dynamic Magic, i will create an implementation and send it over. Please send me the invoice in my www.artengame.com email and i will email the skydome when it is ready.

If by skybox you mean the background, this is not possible without implementing the stars to a shader, which is beyond the particles and much harder. But it can be done with a dome. You can get an idea of how it will look (minus the larger stars and growth effects) in the Sky Master 2 demo, at night time. I will adapt this one for the dynamic effect.

Sky Master 2 demo:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/79230236/Sky Master/UNITY 5/SkyMasterV20DEMO2.html

48. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

GOOD NEWS, both from the update of V 2.0 for the Particle Dynamic Magic, and the Skymaster 2.0 and also that you say that it would be possible and easy to do a skydome with lots of animated shiny and twinkling stars as seen on music video, specially at minute 2:06 where you can see it better.

No, I do not want really a Skybox, it will be great and useful also to have a Skydome or dome, that I think is made with a huge sphere that covers the whole and complete scenery covering everything, so it would look like a skybox effect. I have a 3D city with many high buildings, so what I want is that in the back of the buildings is shown the animated shiny and twinkling stars, and think that this could be done with a skydome and is not needed a skybox.

Sorry that I could not be able to see the effect in the Sky master demo 2 as I do not know wich button would give the effect of the night effect

I have sent you by email the invoice.

By the way I have also the Sky Master Ultimate

Thanks very much for your help

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

I have made a first version of the effect and will send it over in email.

Let me know if this is what you wanted and how it could be further improved. Note that the texture used is just a sample, any shape can be used instead as well.

50. nasos_333

nasos_333

@SpaceRay

The effect has been sent. I forgot to mention in the email that this particle dome can be scaled depending on the city size to cover. The camera distance should be set accordingly so the stars are visible in the distance. Also if the dome is scaled a lot, perhaps the particle size will also have to be adjusted for stars to be properly visible.