Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightning better on Scaled up models ? Why ? Do i'm wrong ?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by smoluck, Feb 17, 2017.

1. smoluck

smoluck

Hello.

I don't know if you've experienced that before or if it's a mistake that i've done, but i've notice that if my Game assets are scaled around 10 times bigger inside Unity the lightning shading of my directionnal light seems to look better than at the 1:1 scale.

My models comes from Modo, where i use metric unit. So when i load the fbx model into Unity 1 unit is 1 meter.

Do there is some settings in my Directionnal light that i need to take care of i order to use my models at 1:1 scale ?

2. bgolus

bgolus

If your object is dynamic, it might be a problem with your cascade distance. Go to quality settings and change the light distance to 1/10th the current distance and see if that helps. If it does you might want to play with the cascade split ratios.

If your object is static it's a light map resolution issue. Light maps try to stay constantly scaled texel to world space, so making the model bigger would mean it uses more of the light map texture. For that you should adjust the scene and object light map settings in the lighting window.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    smoluck, theANMATOR2b and ifurkend like this.
  3. UnityLighting

UnityLighting

This problem is caused when my object scale is less than 1 in transform component (in my test )
    It's not happens in Beast or Progressive Lightmapper!

4. smoluck

smoluck

Wonderful. That have completely change the shading in a good way. my Shadow distance was at 150 and now with 15 it's fine, thanks a lot bgolus.

PS: it's a common problems if you want to display a Model at real size scale, 1 unity unit = 1 meter. in my case that machine is about 2.5 m large.