Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightmaps appear clamped

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by EscalatorSafe, Nov 21, 2018.

1. EscalatorSafe

EscalatorSafe

Hello,

I am having an issue with lightmaps where they appear to be clamped.
    The scene below I have standard shader on the floor with its albedo color set to near black (Value of 1 in hsv)
    and a light intensity of 9000.
    On the left is a new scene showing what it should look like and on the right is what I am currently getting in my project. I am having difficulties reproducing the problem as in my current project the problem comes and goes, usually after restarting unity or my computer it will suddenly be working again only to stop randomly. I have also had the problem appear in a new empty project with the same inconsistency, but I am unable to reproduce it again and don't have that project.
    I have tried in the the LW SRP and in the default renderer and the problem persists, I have gone through all the light mapper setting and none of them seem to help. Changing the compression of the light maps doesn't seem to have an effect either.
    I have tried changing the color space from Gamma to linear also no effect.
    It really feels like the light map isn't preserving its "HDR" values and just being multiplied in a 0 to 1 range so dark textures remove all lighting information.
    I am currently in 2018.3.0b9, have confirmed the problem in 2018.3.0b10 and 2018.3.0b4

Thanks.

upload_2018-11-22_9-26-53.png

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Are you targeting mobile?

3. EscalatorSafe

EscalatorSafe

Yeah we are targeting mobile devices, and have the editor set to android

4. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Mobile lightmaps are dLDR which means double LDR, which means maximum brightness is 2, which is what you're seeing.

They added a way for better lightmaps recently, but I think only in 2019 and it's only supported on Metal and Vulkan (I think).

5. EscalatorSafe

EscalatorSafe