Search Unity

Lightmapping speckle issue

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by SugarSores, Jun 6, 2018.

1. SugarSores

SugarSores

Hey everyone,

So we're working on a project for a client and we're getting this weird issue while baking. The art assets were provided by the client. I'm assuming that it is a UV or Normals issue.

We also tried switching the Pushoff value to 0.005, to no avail.

Any ideas?
    upload_2018-6-6_11-7-5.png

2. FindYourFun

FindYourFun

Do you have Generate Lightmap UVs turned on in the import settings?

3. SugarSores

SugarSores

Ooh, no I did not. The last few times that I tried to do it, it crashed Unity-The model is rather unoptimized. I'm trying it again now, and it's looking like it's gonna crash lol.
    If it does, I think I'll pull it into Maya and export just the piece I need. Thanks for the tip.

4. iamthwee

iamthwee

Everything needs to have generate lightmap uvs turned on, in blender we have a decimate modifier, that should reduce the number of faces/verticies so you can import your mesh. But regardless you should uv unwrap any mesh you import into unity.

5. SugarSores

SugarSores

Yep, of course ;)! The client claimed to have unwrapped it, I'm assuming it was some auto unwrapping though. Are you saying that this box has to be ticked, even if it is unwrapped outside of Unity? If that's the case- surprised me lol

6. iamthwee

iamthwee

Yes, but remember the key point here is you have to 'decimate the high level meshes' otherwise it will hang when trying to import or crash.

Obviously a nice topology is preferred but I get you can't always do that.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I use this to optimize away ngons

They also cover how you can do tris to quad. But offcourse it does not work as well as a manual optimized model

You can generate uv2s in your modeling tool though.A carefully laid out uv2 often wins over the generated option

iamthwee likes this.
  8. iamthwee

iamthwee

lol dude you need to check out 'instant meshes' on github - for baking this is fine. IMO the only time i'd break out bmesh and do some manual retopo maself is if i'm making a riggable character.

*of course for fine detail I bake the normal maps first then apply it to the low poly mesh.