Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lightmap results different in 2019.1

Discussion in '2019.1 Beta' started by EscalatorSafe, Feb 13, 2019.

1. EscalatorSafe

EscalatorSafe

Hello!

We have just updated out project from 2018.3 to 2019.1.0b2 and are noticing differences in our bake results both in light maps and light probes.
    Lights at and intensity of one and an indirect multiplyer of 1 appear to bake the exact same! Great!

When increasing the intensity above 1 in 2019.1 the lights brightness increases more than in 2018.3.

When increasing the Indirect multiplier above 1 the brightness increases more than in 2018.3 and also introduces blurry noise artefacts.

2018 produced lots of high frequency noise at this stage also but get blurred out easily because it was so high frequency, in 2019 the noise is so big that massive splotches are left behind and the end result looks worse.

For this test the scene and lightmap settings and the light were exactly the same!
    2018.PNG 2019.PNG end result.PNG

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

2019 applies the filtering while baking while 2018 didn't (and just applied it at the send). Turn off filtering to make the results similar while baking).

3. EscalatorSafe

EscalatorSafe

Ok cool! That is interesting, do you know why the lights are way brighter? Did the ratio of all the numbers change, as values of 1 and below look the same but after that they diverge alot.

4. EscalatorSafe

EscalatorSafe

This is an extreme example but to get them to match:
    light intensity is 1 on both lights
    indirect multiplier is 50 in 2019
    indirect multiplier is 5000 in 2018
    end result.PNG

And its the same story with the light intensity
    just to be clear I dont have a problem if unity has changed the how the numbers work, Im just trying to confirm its not a bug, as if i go ahead and fix all my scenes, and then they change it back ill have to do all the work again.

Thanks

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

6. EscalatorSafe

EscalatorSafe

7. Kuba

Kuba

Both of @AcidArrow's suggestions would be the first things I'd mention as well. :)

The other one would be to check if the lightmap encoding is set to the same setting: https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Lightmaps-TechnicalInformation.html

If it is the same, then we'd appreciate it if you could send your 2018.3 project over in a bug report. There's a lot of options at play, so that will be the fastest way for us to check what's up.