Search Unity

Bug Lightmap Out of Memory / Crashes / Nvidia GPU's on Progressive Lightmapper

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by NVDaniel, Nov 26, 2020.

1. NVDaniel

NVDaniel

Hi.

For the past two years of using Unity we've never been able to bake any complex scene using the progressive GPU lightmapper as it crashes or gets stuck in an endless loop. It's been such an issue that we had to buy a AMD card just to do the lightmapping. It's been bothering me for years and have struggled to find a solution so I thought I'd post this here with the vague hope Google picks it up.

If you're having trouble with baking light maps in unity on Progressive GPU then download and install the Studio
    Drivers from Nvidia. We still encounter issues with the lightmapper but it's able to do bakes on our 2080's and 1080 TI's unlike before.

My understanding is the Studio Drivers take the large chunks of data and slice them up (like the AMD card does by default). We've tested this difference from not being able to bake on multiple machines & cards.

2. Da_Drood

Da_Drood

It's 2024 and i'm having the same issues with my nvidia 2080Ti when trying to bake through progressive GPU. I'm pretty noob with this i must admit, and i have no clue whether i can solve this or not cause i struggle to find good info searching on google