Search Unity

Lightmap Artifacts Everywhere Please Help (See Images)

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by FirstTimeCreator, Mar 6, 2018.

1. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

No matter what I do there are artifacts everywhere. I have tried 2 different ships now. I have Monochromed it all normals facing player, All backface geometry removed. I have not turned it into a solid so that every component is small and easily fits within the lightmap.

I have spent hours upon hours trying to get RealTime GI to lightmap SIMPLE geometry properly and I am at a loss here. I cannot figure out why it will not lightmap properly.

I am heavily invested in this project and have already done countless hours of programming work and I really need the interior of the ship to at least look decent.

All I want is simple emmisve lighting. I have generated UV's. Messed with every setting and I cannot get a different result. Everything I bake, Artifacts are everywhere! Even in simple corridors with simple geometry and small components.

2. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

3. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

4. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I need some answers here. Does the Auto-Generate UV's in Unity 5 not function properly?

The UV's appear correct as far as I know.

The Area in yellow is a problematic area, always get a dark artifact here.

Here is uv charts for a corridor.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  5. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

I also seem to be getting these white blotches behind components where there is no backface material on the emissive material so why would the light be hitting behind it?. This seems to be happening on everything that is not attached to a wall.

6. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

So I watched this. I am going to try to increase the pack margin, Remove components not directly attached to walls and use light probes to light them instead of including them in the lightmap.

My question is should I just remove everything that is static, redo the model to where the Emissive light "strips" are components and only they are static then light probe everything else?

7. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Well one artefact is fixed with increasing the pack margin.

8. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

So I figured it out, it was "optimize lightmap UV's" being on by default which was causing the biggest problem. Disabling it for pretty much everything but flat planes has fixed 95% of all artifact problems.

9. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

This is what the corridor is suppose to look like woot! Can't believe this whole time it was the light map optimization causing all of the artifacts. Now what I need to do is write an editor extension to remove them from being selected by default because MOST of the mesh with the exception of flat walls and floors is "apparently" to complex for it. I do not know the "exact" reason why it is causing the artifacts only that disabling it solved nearly all of my problems.

Anyone ever try to realtime GI a scale model of the enterprise D?

I am baking it right now (for fun) and it will be in my upcoming video showcasing my "Dreamspace" engine. Which is a space sim platform for doing "almost" everything they are doing in Star Citizen in the Unity 5 engine.

Walking around on ships with full interiors (Much bigger ships) that in star citizen. Seamlessly piloting craft out of the launch bay and landing on objects in space, space stations, asteroids.. (No not planets), but technically if I wanted to spend 3 months designing a spherical terrain lod'ing system (I could) but I don't. The prototype platform is intended for space sim only, not landing on planets.

The prototype platform I am designing is intended for Galactic Armada and other future space sim action combat adventure games.

You can read more about it here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/galactic-armada-fleet-commander-overview-mechanics-videos.516871/

Keep in mind I have put well over 500 hours since my last video.
    All new videos will be going to the new youtube channel:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXsD308-pyrtr1yzwpwmY7w?view_as=subscriber

I needed to make sure it was possible to do everything they are doing in star citizen regarding walking on moving ships and seamless transitions between ships, landing on objects as well as a space suit controller.

It not only possible, it is do-able and infact I have one-upped star citizen which you will see in my upcoming video which will showcase my "HiVelocity Collision Avoidance Pathfinding System" which is capable of navigating complex geometry moving at high velocities. You know what the means folks!? NO MORE STATIC stations and asteroid fields.

Everything in the DreamSpace engine will be MOVING! Stations, Asteroid Fields, Planets within solar systems. It is my goal to not only create a space sim within the unity engine but a next-gen space sim with never before seen NPC navigation capabilities in a space sim, which I have already achieved. HiVelocity is scalable to any size ship, fighters, capital ships... hell, I could have a planet flying around.. a SCALE planet literally flying around the solar system like a space ship ;) if I wanted.

Anyway.. I'm eager to get this video out so.. back to it then.

One last thing, My 3D Collision Avoidance Pathfinding system is far superior to anything that exists publicly. I can run over 300 ships in a scene with little CPU overhead, navigate not only static mesh, not only "rotating" mesh, but moving mesh colliders at high velocity AS well as other objects within vicinity of a ship AND it always looks for the shortest path around the object to the intended target/destination. So if you are interested in space sim pathfinding systems watch my upcoming video ;) and prepare to be mind blown.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  10. FirstTimeCreator

FirstTimeCreator

Oh yes it is massive! The 3 deck ship I have the player controller on which will do a flyby of this this trek ship in the demo can nearly fit inside one nacelle. I had to reduce the resolution of this bake because it was taking forever so we shall see how it turns out.