Search Unity

lighting question

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by cbrown, Dec 18, 2006.

1. cbrown

cbrown

hello,

i'm sorry for this rather basic question, but I'm in a bit of a rush. i'm going to be building an online app for architecture purposes. for this architectural application, it will be required that the application can calculate a radiosity solution on user demand. tell me, can the unity player be made to calculate radiosity lighting solutions?

thank you!

2. StarManta

StarManta

Short answer: no.

3. cbrown

cbrown

thanks. so I'm assuming the only way to get a radiosity solution into unity player is to bake it into the textures in your favorite 3d program before importing to unity. I guess that's what this guy did.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yeah. Typically radiosity is stupendously calculation-intensive, so it's not really possible to do it properly in real-time at the moment.

--Eric

5. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Actually, it is possible to calculate whatever lighting you want yourself. Calculate radiosity (e.g. a bunch of raycasts or whatever else), put that into a texture or vertex colors.

Of course, most radiosity calculation methods are not fast. So if the question is "is that possible" - the answer is "yes". If the question is "will it be fast" - probably "no".

6. cbrown

cbrown

well, I just want to make sure I'm being clear: I don't want unity player to calculate radiosity in real time. What I'm looking for is to allow the user to build a simple room (say a kitchen) in my application and then, when they're ready, press a "calculate radiosity solution" button that will calculate radiosity. If this takes some time to put out the solution that is fine. From what I'm hearing here, this is possible?

Thanks so much for your responses. Again, sorry for the simplicity of the questions. Once I really read up on the platform I can make more informed questions. But I just need to get a few basic questions out of the way first.

7. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Yes, that is possible. Of course you'd have to implement the radiosity calculation yourself; at the moment Unity does not have builtin functionality for this.