Search Unity

Lighting issue: Shadow doesn't appear when importing from Unity 2017 custom toon like shader to 2018

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by willem_kranendonk, Feb 17, 2019.

1. willem_kranendonk

willem_kranendonk

Hey folks,

So just as it says in the title, I'm getting a weird issue where I need to go from 2017 to 2018 and my lighting is just weird. Heres a screenshot of it in 2017

And here in 2018.

Settings are identical minus the skybox and as you can see no shadows are drawing. Its weird and I really need to get this to work.

Can anyone help?!

2. bgolus

bgolus

Without seeing the shader itself and more of the scene setup it’s hard to say anything.

3. willem_kranendonk

willem_kranendonk

What can I provide to you to check it? Then I can post that

4. willem_kranendonk

willem_kranendonk

A little update I discovered that we made the shader using "amplify shader editor" and then the settings we used are the default lighting settings in Unity 2018 (when you start a new scene). In 2017 we changed some things but mainly to what the camera relays rather than the direct effect of lighting in general.

5. bgolus

bgolus

Various thoughts:
    • Is there a shadow casting light in your scene? It’s a bit of a dumb question, but also one I don’t know the answer to since you don’t specify that you do.
    • Is the project / camera set to use deferred in your 2018 build? Not being able to see your shader and not being super familiar with how ASE handles this kind of thing, I don’t know if this is the problem, but I can certainly see something like this kind of custom lighting implemented with ASE breaking when using deferred and you haven’t disabled generating a deferred pass.
    • Are there any errors in the console? You may need to select the shader in the project view to see shader errors listed in the inspector.
    • It appears you were using MSAA in your 2017 build. I would highly suggest against using it with this shading style as Unity’s main directional light shadows are not effected by MSAA and will cause aliasing, or in this case outlines, to appear on your objects.

6. willem_kranendonk

willem_kranendonk

• No worries I didn't specify! I got shadow casting on.
    • Deferred is on but I've played around with all the settings and nada. Still same issue.
    • No errors so far.
    • Gotchya! I'll take a look if MSAA was in our 2017 build. It probably was.

I personally think the shader is out of date. I tried it on some other builds and it just refuses to work. I think the shader is ultra sensitive to working in certain conditions.