Search Unity

Lighting is now too bright after upgrading from 2020.2.1f1 to 2020.2.6f1

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by falconfetus8, Feb 27, 2021.

1. falconfetus8

falconfetus8

Did something about how lighting works change between these two versions? After upgrading from 2020.2.1f1 to 2020.2.6f1, all the lights in my scene got *massively* brighter. I haven't changed anything other than upgrading the project. The light intensity setting on each of the lights is still 1, but now everything is all over-exposed. I can easily compensate by turning down the intensity, but I'd really like to know *why* it changed.

Before the upgrade:
    before_upgrade (2).png

After the upgrade:
    after_upgrade (2).png

2. MDADigital

MDADigital

In first screenshot the scene is not baked which means no environmental lighting. In second screenshot it's baked

3. falconfetus8

falconfetus8

Does that mean the second screenshot is what it's "supposed" to look like, then?

That's too bad. I really want it to look like the first screenshot.

Why would upgrading the project have caused the lighting to bake, though?

4. MDADigital

MDADigital

Dont know. Maybe they reenabled that Auto bake is enabled by default?

5. If you replace the white with some more humane color, it can do a lot, rotate your directional light so it doesn't come from direct above, maybe tweak the intensity if it's not a scene where the light should be "realistic" (just don't forget it). And of course, check the lighting inspector, what are the settings and tweak accordingly.

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

Did your project switch between linear and gamma lighting?

JamesArndt likes this.
  7. Isomania

Isomania

In unity: Window > Rendering > Lightning > Environment > Environment Lightning > Intensity Multiplier
    Set that to 0, and you should get the same result you got in 2020.2.1f1.

havelek1234, inaki_cm and Frazilpop like this.
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

In your first screen lighting is not baked. You never went to lighting panel and never pressed that "rebuild lighting" or whatever it is called button. This look is an error.

In the second screen the lighting is baked, but you have an incredibly bright light source somewhere in the scene.
    --edit--

Well, great, that was a necropost.

9. Martin_H

Martin_H

Hi, welcome to the forum. Please don't necro old posts. I looked at your other post and I see you've linked your question from Unity answers. Afaik Unity Answers is barely used by anyone anymore and I expect you won't get an answer in the other post that you necroed either, even though the topic may fit to your problem. Give it 2 or 3 days and if you don't get a reply by then, try making a new thread in the shaders forum ( https://forum.unity.com/forums/shaders.16/ ) where you post the screenshots, code and description from you Unity Answers post (don't just link that post!). I can't help you since I don't know enough about shaders etc. but I think your game has an interesting aesthetic and I expect you'll get an answer once you post in the right way. Good luck!

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. Feral_Pug

Feral_Pug

Thank you. I knew something was up. Instantly fixed the lighting.

11. Kobald-Klaus

Kobald-Klaus

excuse me: but that sounds a bit strange - of course setting to 0 will turn off the light which will result in no gloss!

I have the same problem here: terrain is glossy after update to 2021.2. I checked all layers: it´s not them. Even when I remove the layers it´s still glossy. properties like metal do have effect, but the gloss stays, whatever I do.