Search Unity

Lighting has got me baffled

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Homicide, Mar 20, 2019.

1. Homicide

Homicide

I dont even know where to start. There doesn't seem to be any good source of information that's beginner friendly on this subject.

I have tried and tried to create a scene using mostly emissive ceiling lights (no real lights) and only a couple point lights through out the scene, as i want to have a few shadows being cast by the player and misc objects like crates etc.

No matter what i do, as soon as i bake the emissive lighting into the scene, lights cast no shadows at all.

A directional light is not going to do anything useful , as the direction that shadows should be coming from changes as you move around, but a direction light just keeps aiming one way through out the scene.

Im at a loss. Can anyone point towards a good youtube tutorial , or maybe a document covering some of the basics. Sigh, heart wrenching, as i've spent hours and gotten no where. :(

TIA

2. Homicide

Homicide

3. ArachnidAnimal

ArachnidAnimal

Have you tried using the baked area light instead of emission light?
    Add a light component and change the type to "Area".

4. Homicide

Homicide

I swear i have tried everything, but to no avail as of yet. Well, not exactly what i wanted.

It seems if i set all lights to important they will cast shadows, but something tells me this is not ideal , and probably very taxing on the hardware. Sigh, i'm a total light noob.

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I can't offer much help. since I haven't done exactly what you are trying to do, but I happen to know that if you are trying get real-time shadows working with baked lighting, this is called "mixed lighting". There is some documentation about it here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightMode-Mixed.html

That document you linked to in first post looks like it might be for Unity 5 (older version).