Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Lighting data asset was built with an incompatible Unity version

Discussion in '5.5 Beta' started by Ortath, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Ortath

Ortath

I am playing with an asset store package that I bought a while back in Unity 5.5 and I get a horrible lighting (stark white/black) problem that I am uncertain how to clear. What I am looking for here is how to fix the example scene(s) that have broken lighting without getting fancy at this time. It appears to me that all choices for Lighting Data Asset in the project are giving me "Lighting data asset was built with an incompatible Unity version. Realtime GI will not be used. Please rebuild lighting." How do I get or create a Lighting Data Asset that works decent for Unity 5.5.0b6 and will this fix my problem?

My purpose is to use it for a while as its similar to a game environment I wish to create when I get skilled enough to do so. I wish to do this on the "bleeding edge" version of Unity (5.5) as I want to learn the latest methods of accomplishing things. My background is in computer engineering and I will be focusing on learning some intermediate concepts in unity before I start. I have gone through some tutorial projects in the past and worked on Unity 4 projects but I have not very much about lighting until now.

calegxm999 and JorgeAmVF like this.
  2. kemalakay

kemalakay

Unity Technologies

Hey @Ortath!

Fortunately, it is an easy problem to fix. It is expected that when you open an old project in a new Unity version, the console log will throw out "Lighting data asset was built with an incompatible Unity version. Realtime GI will not be used. Please rebuild lighting." message. All you have to do is find the ''Build' button in lighting tab, click on the arrow on its right side and press ''Clear Baked Data" button. This will clear the Lighting Data Asset and now, you can build the lighting. Just click on "Build" button in order to build it. In case you encounter other problems, clearing the GI Cache is the last resort. You can do that by going to Edit > Preferences > GI Cache and click on "Clean Cache" button. Ideally, this shouldn't be necessary but it always fixes the problem.

In the tutorial section of Unity page, you can already find really good lighting tutorials. But please keep us updated and let us know if this solution works for you.

3. Ortath

Ortath

Thanks for posting the procedure for rebuilding lighting. I think I managed to get Unity3d to rebuild lighting by changing some settings so its it great to understand the correct way to do it.

calegxm999 likes this.