Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Lighting causing weird shadowy streaks.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by KwinkyWolf, Jul 3, 2020.

1. KwinkyWolf

KwinkyWolf

As seen in the screenshot below, the walls for my interior (And the floor) are covered in these stretched, weird-looking shadowy streaks (Only on some walls, not all). I thought this was to do with the lightmap error I kept getting, but the building shell wasn't one of the objects it mentioned.

I've been at this for around 3 days now, and have turned up nothing and therefore have come here for some guidance. What exactly causes this, and how do I improve the lighting environment using GI and baked lightmaps? Is this a UV issue?

upload_2020-7-3_21-10-35.png

2. KwinkyWolf

KwinkyWolf

Here are the blotchy shadows on the floor too...

upload_2020-7-3_21-36-21.png

3. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Could be lots of different things. It's hard to tell with the gaussian filtering blurring everything out. Disable filtering, and rebake.
    Also, it would help if you'd post a screenshot of your lighting settings.

4. KwinkyWolf

KwinkyWolf

I'll disable the post-processing in a moment for you. I believe the issue with the walls streaking may be because of the UV's after looking at them properly, however, the blotchy shadows still remain and the lighting just looks off.

upload_2020-7-4_15-19-17.png
    upload_2020-7-4_15-19-45.png

upload_2020-7-4_15-48-13.png

Also been meaning to ask about this, but i'm assuming it's simply bad gemoetry
    upload_2020-7-4_15-48-52.png

Thank you so much :)

5. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi, posting screenshots from these view modes will make it easier to tell what is going on https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/GIVis.html

I suspect the blotchiness is from undersampling, try increasing the indirect or environment sample counts (depends on you are lighting the scene).

Does using the auto filtering mode help at all?