Search Unity

Lighting a Scene?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Maws, Dec 5, 2011.

1. Maws

Maws

okay so im attempting to light a scene and im only using unity free (which may be my problem)

and well since im trying to create a kind of ambient lighting so its a tad spooky every time i add more than 3 lights into my scene all of my lights turn super bright. so i tried to dim them all down a bit however as i kept with the duplicating at around 7ish u cant even see any proper light from the lights =/

idk if anyone else has had this problem or if its just cuz of unity free?

2. larvantholos

larvantholos

Alright try this. First, in your render settings, you can control the level of ambient light. Set it to black - second, in your quality settings, make sure your editor and build settings match, you may want to up the per pixel lighting settings as this will allow more lights to affect an area.
    You wont get real time shadows on free, however, you can still bake shadows into the lightmaps on free, you should be able to achieve a spooky setting.

Once you have those settings changed, you can adjust how bright each light is - less is more, so if you can achieve the affect with 1 light, use that instead of say... 5 ;) you can adjust the intensity 2 ways, changing the color value (purely on the grey/white, white being the most intense and black not showing at all, and then adding color wihch can make things much more spooky!) - you can also bring the intensity up/down from the intensity slider.

You can also adjust the shadows of the light, and also adjust which objects cast/don't cast shadows to really get the affects your after - and of course bake all this in so it really stands out how you want.

3. Maws

Maws

HOLY crap that totally helped xD im actually suprised i got a response so quickly thank you very much xD

now i dont know how to bake light maps my teacher didnt get to teach us that so ill look up a youtube video for that

4. larvantholos

larvantholos

Your welcome. Baking isn't to hard, I'm sure you'll figure it out, goodluck!