Search Unity

Light setup for indoor and outdoor.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by rapidrunner, Nov 20, 2017.

1. rapidrunner

rapidrunner

Greetings gents; I am trying to find a decent setup for my indoor/outdoor test scene, that I can use as starting point for experimenting further, to add character to my overall visual look.

I am using 1 sun, a skybox made by 6 pictures (got it from the unity store), and some point lights for the indoor area (an enclosed space with windows and glass doors). As overall graphic style I am using the Unity standard toon lit outline shader.

I have been struggling to find a good balance between being bright enough indoor, and outdoor; also the baking time is taking forever, which means that I am using wrong parameters.
    Mostly the problem is that either the outside looks too bright, and the inside is decent, or the outside is OK but the inside is very dark, unless I have the point lights on all the time. Also I see very limited detailing inside, using only the outside light.
    I have attached the images of how the interior and exterior look like; and my current settings.
    interior.JPG

exterior.JPG

settings.JPG

Since when I did update to 2017 version, lights started to behave badly; before it did look nice, and I had a decent amount of light inside and outside, with enough light to see details inside and soft shading overall, while now it looks quite bad; and no matter what I set, the scene won't look like it used to be. Also the toon shading seems way off; with outline visible only when going upclose, even if I push the slider all the way to the right. Not sure if the issue is with Unity light setup, the lighting code itself or if the shader broke in the new version.

Could anyone please point me to the right way, to make interior and exterior with good look and reasonable time to calculate the maps? Most of the scene is static; I just have the point lights as realtime lights; so the player will be affected when going inside.

2. TeddyGad

TeddyGad

I've been struggling myself w/ just illuminating an interior scene and so far, initially using the Directional light to create the shadow direction, and then using an Area Lite positioned over the main window (turning off Real Time lite settings and activating Baked) w/ a Reflector Probe inside the room gives me decent results. Not sure how to get the same results on the exterior. I'm still trying to find more info on the various Bake settings, so let me know what's worked for you

Attached Files: