Search Unity

Light runner game thingy

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Duskling, Jul 9, 2012.

1. Duskling

Duskling

I have no idea where I am going with this. But I love it. I cant wait to flesh this out more. I plan on the game getting faster and faster as you move through rings and collect points and shiz. It would also be cool if the levels colors reacted to the music in the background. I am thinking some sort of electronic music.

Try it out here.

Move with the mouse.

As you can see, there is some glitchiness going on with the trail renderer. How would I fix this? Also please leaves any tips on how to make this better.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  2. TehWut

TehWut

yeah I did notice some artifacts in the trail as you said. definitely a cool demo though

3. Duskling

Duskling

Thanks.

I've managed to reduce the amount of artifacts in the lastest build, try it out and tell me what you think.

But now I need to figure out how to make it look more 3D, like you are actually moving forward.

4. Duskling

Duskling

I've made a couple of updates to it, Can somebody please tell me how I could make the front tip of the stream duller and rounded?

5. Diviner

Diviner

Have it rotate at 90 degree angles and you can turn it into a 3rd person 3D version of Tron.

6. Duskling

Duskling

Nah. Not what I had in mind.

Still trying to figure out how to make the edge smoother and remove the visual artifacts when you turn.

Any unity experts that can help me out with this trail renderer?

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  7. Duskling

Duskling

8. mgeorgedeveloper

mgeorgedeveloper

This has cool potential, but there are so many possible directions you can take this in... choose wisely :)

9. HolBol

HolBol

Duskling, there's a trontrail effect that might be what you need in the Procedural package. It's very handy.

10. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Cool demo, I'm exited to see the finished product!

11. Duskling

Duskling

Checked that out... The programming and math seems to be a bit too advanced for me to modify.. I will see what I can do though.

I know.. I can't decide between a " Collect coins while flying fast and dodging obstacles", or an " On rails ( somewhat) shooter like kid icarus ( 3ds )" game.

I might make prototypes of both of them and then see which one is my favorite.

12. Duskling

Duskling

Made an update, you now move it with your mouse.

13. TehWut

TehWut

wooooahh maann...
    So cool man....

xD it's actually really fun to mess around with. DON'T screw this up!

14. TehWut

TehWut

trail still has artifacts when overlapping, though

15. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

I love the mouse control!

16. Duskling

Duskling

Thanks guys.

As for the artifacts... I can't solve them. I will try again to use the trail renderer from the unity procedural package.

I also don't know how to make the front of the trail duller. Right now its sort of flat.

I don't know where I am going with this.. I want to do something but I don't want to screw it up.

17. Duskling

Duskling

Updated it and seemed to round out the tip of the stream.

I think that I am going to have a fast paced "Dodge and Weave" game with many levels of varying difficulty. Still not sure though. I want to keep the majestic flow of the stream and I think adding shooting and enemies would kind of mess up the flow. The game looks best when you are moving fast and dodging stuff.

What are peoples thoughts on this? Any suggestions on where to go from here?

18. TehWut

TehWut

The thing that struck me when I played it, is that it is incredibly smooth, both in movement and style, almost relaxing in a strange way xD

You could do a dodge - weave game in a bright universe. You could even create something entirely new, and blow our minds with it.

19. Duskling

Duskling

What do you mean?

20. TehWut

TehWut

like something completely new and unheard of. A dodge game would be a good starting point I

21. Prion Games

Prion Games

It is like Tron, I love it!

22. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Kinda interesting. Confusing that I go through the floor. Quite fast moving. It needs more to make it a game. Reminds me vaguely of `virus` on the archimedes computer, though much faster and without and landscape.

23. Duskling

Duskling

I removed the collider on the floor because that is really there just to help you add depth. Without it the game looks 2D.

I don't know what else I can do to add depth. Its kind of hard to aim the stream to go through rings and such right now.

24. maetheec

maetheec

I might be stating the obvious here, but the controls stop working when the mouse leave the game screen... that is a problem :p

25. Duskling

Duskling

Nothing I can do about it. Problem with the unity web player.

I might be able to reset the rotation of the player if the mouse is off the screen but I'm not sure.

26. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

You need to lock the mouse.

27. Duskling

Duskling

Tried that. The current way that I have the mouse looking set up wont work with that because it requires the mouse to be free.

28. CodePanda

CodePanda

Looks like Tron, feels like Temple Run :p I liked it! Keep at it man

29. xniinja

xniinja

This is pretty good. Simple AND fun, the beginnings of a great game. If I had one suggestion it would be cool if the light trail emits light so it shows up on the ground. Other than that this is perfect.

30. Duskling

Duskling

yeah the light thing I was thinking about :)

Anyway, im stuck on how to make the game have more depth. its very hard to aim the beam to collect stuff and go through hoops.

31. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Maybe have the light thing drop a bomb when you click? And the goal would be to bomb cities and stuff.