Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Light Probes placement interior affects exterior lighting

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by WildStyle69, Aug 20, 2018.

1. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Hi guys,

Trying to get my head around Light Probe placement -- my scene has exterior areas using real-time lighting (i.e. directional sun) and interior baked and mixed lighting for dark and underground areas.

By placing light probes for the interior baked and mixed lighting areas I can get the desired setup that works well and gives me decent looking lighting. The problem however is the probes from the dark areas affect the exterior areas and are making the models dull / dark looking, as sampling light from the interior / dark.

So I started testing adding more Light Probes to the exterior scene and it works pretty well for areas that are not close to the interiors, that is the models and lighting is no longer darker and samples light from the outside areas. However near / on the cusp of the two areas the interior / exterior Light Probes connect and sample across the boundary, which makes the external models of the building look all wrong.. darker than they should be.

Is there a way to get this kind of scene / lighting setup to work with Light Probes, am I doing something obviously wrong here?

Any help appreciated, thanks!

// WildStyle

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

You need to place lightprobes near the walls (both sides) so that you don't get any interpolation from the outside probes with the interior ones and vice versa.

WildStyle69 likes this.
  3. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Cool, thanks... I'll give that a try!

// WildStyle

4. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Yeah that helped quite a bit, once I had more light probes close to the walls on both sides it was better. I also found my reflection probe placement and volume sizes were causing some walls to get a lot darker.

Thanks for the tip!

// WildStyle