Search Unity

Resolved Light probes or probe volumes don't work at all with Realtime GI. Everything else works perfect.

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Oniros88, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Oniros88

Oniros88

Using HDRP, latest beta.

And yes I generated lighting a lot of times over and over again with either light probe groups or the new experimental Probe Volumes set up. They do just nothing. With the normal probes, if I move around a dynamic mesh object it actually shows the influence gizmos reacting.

I use only realtime GI and everything works perfect, in fact I was surprised as I coudln't get realtime GI to work at all in previous versions but in current beta it precomputes fast even at medium setting, hast absolute zero leaks, emissive surfaces work insanely good, it actually allows me to both have night/day and turn artificial indoors lights on/off and it's nicely performant, but I just can't get the light probes to actually do anythging for dynamic objects: They are either illuminated by the fallback sky probe or are completely black.

Another two confusing things: Why can I only access the actual lightmapping settings if I enable the mixed/Baked GI? Even if I don't have any actual fully baked or mixed lights. I also can't use proxy volumes as it says my API or settings don't support them. How is it? I am using automatic API for windows and also tried manual ones to no avail. Am I missing something? LIke I have to actually enable light probes somewehere?

EDIT: Nevermind! Solved it!. The culprit was that enabling "probe volumes" anywhere in the project disables normal light probes. Probe volumes don't work tho. Leaving this for anyone who runs into the same problem: make sure to disable probe volumes everywhere if you wish to use normal light probes.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2021