Search Unity

Light probes blending through walls

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by SentientSkull, Dec 21, 2018.

1. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

Light probes are sending bright light to the other side of a wall onto objects that should be in dark shadow (including the first person rig). It looks like it's blending with a probe on the outside that's in bright sunlight. I tried placing probes on both sides of the wall, but it has no effect (there's a large void area between the interior and exterior walls anyway). In this case, the other side of the wall is in direct light from a baked directional light (used as the sun).

Is this just how light probes work, or is there some way to fix/work around this?

Image 9.png

Image 6.png

Image 8.png

AntonioModer likes this.
  2. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

An easy way to alleviate this issue, would be to place a double probes layer right next to the inside of the wall, and one on the outside. This way, you will give your probes more buffer to interpolate correct values.

ceebeee likes this.
  3. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

I did as you suggested, but it doesn't fix it.

I'm getting this problem on other places. In the images you see an area with barrels and crates in a room with shadows in the corners. Depending on the placement of probes pretty far away, some areas in the room will get very bright (you can see some of the barrels are very bright while being in shadow). This started happening after adding probes outside the room on the other side of an open outdoor area. There are other closer probes than the new ones added. Sometimes this will happen when just adding a probe inside the room very close to other probes in shadowed areas. You can see in the closeup image the bottom barrel is light wrong. Basically, I can sometimes get the dynamic objects looking correctly light, then add a probe somewhere and it completely wrecks it.

I've tried using dense placement and sparser placement, but this issue with suddenly all the dynamic objects getting very bright will happen, sometimes just placing one new probe will make every dynamic object in the room glow (after re-baking), sometimes it's just a few of them, but I don't understand why it is blending this way.

Image 14.png
    This was one attempt with very dense probes, but I would still get some objects glowing.

Image 12.png Image 13.png

4. JenniferNordwall

JenniferNordwall

Unity Technologies

kristijonas_unity likes this.
  5. SentientSkull

SentientSkull

Thanks, I did try it as you suggest. Sometimes it fixes it, but in other situations, the bright spots don't seem to want to budge, at least in this scene as I have it. Currently, I think I have most of it fixed. I just find it weird that adding a probe way on the other side of the scene will sometimes change probes on the opposite side, even with many probes in between. I need to keep working with light probes to get a better feel for how they work.

6. WildStyle69

WildStyle69

Interested to know if you eventually get this working, please let us know. :)

In my current project I have inside (baked / mixed lighting) and outside (real-time lighting) areas, and was unable to get the lighting correct outside when using light probes. I spent quite a bit of time trying to balance with light probes on either side of the structure walls, same as you've been doing ... without much success.

All outside areas were continuously affected with darkness from the inside light probes... so much so that eventually I just disabled light probes on my outside area model renderer's, which is not a fix.. but works for me at the moment.

// WildStyle

7. id0

id0

This is so stupid! Where is light probes obstacles, for Christ sake? Or light probe distance when it's not be connected? Raycast check? Something?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    ethanicus and Salvador-Romero like this.
  8. Sycoforge

Sycoforge

We, too, think there's a lot of room for improvement here. Probe obstacles and a max connection distance are a must.

BitAssembler likes this.
  9. KospY

KospY

I also got this issue and it's a pain.
    You are forced to add x10 light probes in a dark tunnel to avoid mesh to "leak" by looking other probes far away. The tunnel could be only a few light probes, as it's just dark. It's more computation and time needed for level artists.
    I'm surprised the probes don't have a radius, look like a pretty basic thing and it would save so many time.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
  10. dana-schmale

dana-schmale

We've encountered this a lot on our project. It's pretty frustrating. What we've done is manually assigned an override to the placements that getting bad/wrong probes.

This can be something from the scene that is getting a good probe, such as one of the other barrels or in some cases I've created an empty proxy game object. What's nice about the empty game object is you can move it around after the bake and see the light probe change in realtime so you can choose the best results.

It still sucks because you have to do manual work, but it could save you time beating your head against a bad system?

upload_2020-6-15_11-41-37.png

11. dana-schmale

dana-schmale

Here is a gif of me moving the empty gameObj. If you look at that stone portal against the wall you'll see the lightprobe blending changing.

Attached Files:

12. AntonioModer

AntonioModer

is it possible to script the "blockers" for lightProbe connections? so that they do not connect between the walls.
    UP: as I understand from the API, this is impossible

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
  13. unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

unity_QJ7RazXzghZCzA

Thanks to Unity for another one "Greate" tool!

14. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies