Search Unity

Light Probe vs Light Map Baking

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by misharg, Aug 1, 2017.

1. misharg

misharg

In my shader, static objects use light maps for both direct and indirect lighting. In contrast, dynamic objects use a directional light (set to mixed) for direct lighting and light probes for indirect lighting.
    (Unity 2017.1, subtractive light mode, enlighten baker).

However this doesn't seem to be working, static objects appear to be darker than dynamic objects. The lightmap and light probes look like similar intensities. This results in darker static objects since lightmap < light probe + directional light. So I took a look at the standard shader, the standard shader appears to apply mixed directional light static objects in real time. However this is a hit to performance that I'd like to avoid.

My questions are

1. Is direct and indirect light being baked into light maps? According to the page on subractive lighting (https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LightMode-Mixed-Subtractive.html) the direct light should be baked into light maps and "it does not provide real-time direct lighting" but the Unity Standard shader appears to be adding real time direct lighting.

2. Is direct and indirect light being baked into light probes? It seems like dynamic objects are supposed to have realtime direct lighting with light probe indirect lighting but the light probes visualization show the probes as being fully lit.
    upload_2017-8-1_17-17-40.png

3. Can I setup the scene so direct and indirect light is baked into light maps while only indirect light is baked into light probes? I can't find any options (i.e. in the lighting window) that allow me to control these options for light map or light probes.